Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wiiiiiiiii

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
    how much is the console itself and will it play the old games like Paper Mario and stuff?
    I think it's retailing at $250, and it's supposed to be BC, so it should play your old games.

My little cousin went to Best Buy and got one this morning. The controller looks like real good fun. I played one round of Red Steel, before getting kicked off by a bunch of my 14 year old cousins. Those little buggahs!

It was really fun, but I was a little surprised the graphics weren't better than they were.

With the holiday season coming up, no way I can afford to buy one for myself (and my keiki are too young so play, so can't try justifying to my wife that it's for them. hehe). I guess it's going on my XMas list.

Did anyone see that article about the guy dressed up as a giant Wii controller who was taunting the people lining up for a PS3? Haha. I tried, but couldn't find the link.

Comment

Re: Wii - the Nintendo formerly known as Revolution

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      We'd only have to expect (no pun intended) Nintendo's first GOLF game on the new system will be an endorsed title by Michelle Wie...
      Nintendo & EA Sports Presents:
      Michelle Wie's LPGA Force Tournament '07
      Woods ain't got nothin' on Wii
      Not while she is sponsored by Sony... the makers of the Playstation!

Comment

It was really fun, but I was a little surprised the graphics weren't better than they were.
        One thing wii isn't about is graphics. They haven't done a good enough job getting that message out there, but they decide to focus on gameplay and not worry about graphics. Pretty much the standard nintendo method. that's one way they kept the cost so low.

Comment

Ever since I got my DreamCast and a VGA adaptor, I can't imagine why anyone would ever play a home video game on a television. Adaptors are inexpensive and playing on a monitor is soooooooo much better. Plus, people are always trying to get rid of old monitors, so you can have one for each game system, if you have the space!

Okay, I guess I can think of one reason to play on a TV: In multiplayer games that use split-screens, the monitors are a bit small. I can't wait for the SmartBoard to be installed in my classroom so my students can play around with multiplayer games on THAT. That will be too cool.

Anyway, can any of you Wii people tell me what the connector looks like? I'm talking about the one you plug into the console itself on one end on the television on the other. Is it the same shape and size as the GameCube connection?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Anyway, can any of you people tell me what the connector looks like? I'm talking about the one you plug into the console itself on one end on the television on the other. Is it the same shape and size as the GameCube connection?
            A spokesperson for the company told IGN Wii this morning that the Wii component cables would be available for purchase with the launch of the console in November. The cables will cost $29.99 and will only be available through online retail outlets, including Nintendo's store, Best Buy, Circuit City and EB Games....
            http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintend...nly-209266.php

Comment

They look like the cube ones, but I don't think the cube set will work. I'll try my cube one tonight and see.

I play on an HD front projector at around 10' diag. That's a lot better than a monitor to me. Even on a 55" or so TV, I think the experience is much better. I do agree that a monitor is better than any TV in the 27" or below area.

Comment

Probably a bit late to ask but are all of the local Oahu stores sold out on the Wii?

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked to see a few still out there. if not there will be more this week. i don't think you'll have much trouble getting one.

I put off zelda until tonight when my wife and kid went to bed so I could have a little quality time with it. Just about a hour in now, and it's awesome. worth the price of the console alone if you're a zelda fan. I've grown up with link, so it's always good to see him grow a little too.

a little flick of the wrist and out comes link's sword, and then swing away in combat. nice little combos with the chuck and you do spin moves and jump attacks. it feels very natural, and it's pretty much what I've always wished zelda could be. I've barely scratched the surface on the story, but so far so good.

this thing is going to eat a lot of time for the next few weeks.

I also spent some more time with red steel this afternoon, and it did get much easier to control. Once I got the zoom down, thing made a lot more sense. I also got into the sword play, and it's pretty cool. blocking with a broken sword in one hand and counter attacking with the sword in the other hand. again, I've barely started with it, but it's a thumbs up so far.

Zelda's kind of ruined the other games I got for me for now, so I'm going to play it out before I go back to the others, but everything I played today was worth the purchase.

Comment

How's the online feature? Could you explain what it looks like for people like me, who've never played any of the online console systems?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

How's the online feature? Could you explain what it looks like for people like me, who've never played any of the online console systems?
                      My friend got a Wii and told me they were able to download things like games (smaller, or older games Nintendo made, most likely) from Wii's online feature.

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
                      Probably a bit late to ask but are all of the local Oahu stores sold out on the Wii?
                      Nintendo made better plans than Sony insofar as making sure there was a sufficient number of consoles to purchase.

Comment

Ever since I got my DreamCast and a VGA adaptor, I can't imagine why anyone would ever play a home video game on a television.
                        Whoohoo, another Dreamcast fan out there You ever try out any of the homebrew stuff that came out after Sega killed it?

Back on topic, the Wii is pretty much the only console I'm interested in buying this time around. It looks so cool and ... different. Last round I ended up with one of each (bought 'em used late on in the game) and it's a big waste of space. There are some nice games on each but it's not worth the trouble and money. And bigger and better graphics was never a good reason to get a new console, to me, after the last generation. They're good enough now.

Comment

Wii, nemesis to PlayStation, hits market

The first buyer, Isaiah Triforce Johnson, had been waiting outside the store for more than a week. He wore a Nintendo Power Glove, a wearable controller that came out in 1989, while shaking hands with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime. Johnson said he had legally changed his name to include a reference to Nintendo's "Zelda" series of games.

Comment

Right now I think the only thing we can do online at the moment is shop. The Forecast and News channel are not available yet.

I can (try to) show you what the Virtual Console looks like, though.

This is the Wii Menu, first of all. From here you can choose the Disc Channel (where you select games to start playing), the Mii Channel (create your Mii) and other channels, as well as the games you've downloaded. Anytime you select something, you can choose to start or go back.

Here's the Shop Channel. You can select shopping options for the VC, Wii Ware (haven't checked that one out yet), add Wii points, etc. When you shop, the interface is very easy, as is adding Wii points to spend.

Here's the VC. I've choosen to show all the games by system, and these are the systems I can choose from at the moment. So I select NES and it'll list the games like this. Games you've already downloaded are highlighted. Should you choose to delete the game in the future, you won't have to pay again to re-download.

So I'm going to download Sonic the Hedgehog. It'll also tell you what controllers can be used to play (Wiimote, Classic Controller, or GameCube controllers). Just select the button, and it'll nicely list out what you'll have left after downloading as far as points and memory go. The progress bar is Mario or Luigi, they'll hit the blocks to show you how far you've gotten. It takes less than a minute for me to download a game right now, but I figure games for the N64 may take a bit longer then NES or Genesis games.

And when it's done, simply check out the Wii Menu again and you'll see the game on a new TV screen. Image for the game changes from console to game title if you just let it go.

Very simple, overall.
                            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Excellent, excellent! Thank you for going through that effort. So, what about playing games vs. other people online? Like, could you play Mario Brothers against someone on the mainland, for example?
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yup, you can as long as the game has online capabilities and, like the DS, you'll also need to have each other's friend codes to play. I register someone's code, then he or she registers mine, and then we should be able to play with each other online :3

As of now, I'm not sure what games can be played online. Will have to find out later. I wish Wii Sports was online but it isn't I want to box with people!
                                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Working...
                                X