Wii - the Nintendo formerly known as Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii - the Nintendo formerly known as Revolution

It's official: the new Nintendo console is to be called the Wii.

Whee!

Or maybe it's a golf joke. Wie!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12515895/

Re: Wii - the Nintendo formerly known as Revolution

Or maybe the Nintendo marketing department was responding to Hitachi's "Wooo" product line.

Comment

I hate it. I can just imagine saying "hi, can I buy a Nintendo weeeeeeeeeeeeeee." But in a week, I won't care, just like with the Revmote control (damn, I can't call it that anymore..). As long as the games truly are revolutionary...that Gothic horror Sadness sounds great...and surprisingly dark for family-friendly Nintendo.
      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I can't believe it also, but its true (gamespot article)

The site goes on to say that Wii should be easy to remember for people around the world, no matter their language, and that it will avoid abbreviation. The "ii" spelling is intended to represent "both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play." It may also be worth noting that "ii" means "good" in Japanese.
        Yes, I slapped and pinched myself also.

And I'll LMAO if it'll sell more than the Xbox360 and PS3.
        Last edited by adrian; April 27, 2006, 02:41 PM.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Guffaw.

Okay, I'll admit, the name sucks, but after awhile it's fun to say it. In a Gonads and Strife way, in particular.

I wonder if Nintendo is going for a "yes, the name is crap, but don't you think you should care more about our games? kthx" angle...

Comment

Speaking of which isn't the E3 comming on the net May 8th? Than we can see everything that's comming out. Yipee! I am excited..
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Or maybe it's a golf joke. Wie!!
              We'd only have to expect (no pun intended) Nintendo's first GOLF game on the new system will be an endorsed title by Michelle Wie...
              Nintendo & EA Sports Presents:
              Michelle Wie's LPGA Force Tournament '07
              Woods ain't got nothin' on Wii
              Last edited by Pomai; April 28, 2006, 02:43 AM. Reason: color me badd
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

This news is almost two weeks old, but we haven't had a Wii update in a while, so:
                • The Nintendo Wii will hit the stores on November 19.
                • List price is $249, considerably less than predicted and much less than the Playstation 3.
                • At least 25 games will be available on the day of release, including "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."
                • The Wii will include Wii Sports, which shows off the new kinetic controller.
                • The Wii will have various multimedia and online capabilities, and even a "Virtual Console" that will let you play those bleepy bloopy games of yesteryear.
                Not that I'm going to be lining up at a computer store on release date or anything. The last game system we ever had in the house was a Super Nintendo.

Comment

I soooo want one on release day. Pre-ordering rarely seems to guarantee that you get your system at launch, it seems. I dunno what I'm gonna do, but I know I have my money already saved for it. I'm sad that Metroid Prime 3 got pushed back to 2007 but there are sooo many games coming out at launch that I want that I almost don't care.

Comment

An early look at a Wii television commercial.

Comment

Wiiiiiiiii

Anyone else pick up a wii today? It's a lot of fun. If you haven't checked one out yet, you can play wii sports a gamestop now and see what the controller is like. I recommend bowling and tennis, but they are all good with the possible exception of boxing. It takes some getting used to.

The games I bought with it are all great as well so far. The wife and I played wii sports for a while this morning and it was a lot of fun for both of us. I wonder if it's going to make the inroads to non-gamers that they hope it will.

It's certainly a lot of fun for this gamer so far.

Comment

Re: Wiiiiiiiii

Went to Best Buy at 5:45 AM with my mom. Had a bunch of people in line, but not nearly enough to take up all the Wiis. Got in line, this nice Korean guy before us said we were the first new people to come in an hour. We took a quick count, there were a little over 35 people before us. People started arriving shortly after us. At about 7 AM, the Best Buy head dude came, counted us. Said that there were well under 100 people so we were guaranteed to get one. Also said if anyone pulled any BS like at the PS3 launch, he'd toss them outta there.

He came back at about 8, handed us our vouchers, then my mom drove off to get some damn food! I was number 46 out of about 55-60 people at the time. At around 8:30 even more people started arriving and they were still able to get systems, but the console definitely sold out by 9 AM.

The head guy was extremely happy that we were all well behaved. We formed a line, no pushing and shoving, all the Wii games and accesories and other stuff were laid out on a big table. We walked past and picked up whatever we wanted, went to the registers, grabbed a console, and paid fairly quickly.

So along with the console I got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, a classic controller, and Wii Points card with 2000 on it. Came out to about $409. System updated and I bought Solomon's Key for NES for my mom on the Virtual Console. She loves that game.

Played some Wii Sports, it's really fun. Having a hard time with the swing timing with bowling, but I'll get it soon. Am extremely happy with the system so far, and I'll be popping Zelda in later tonight after I pick up those Xbox 360 games from Burger King today (buy a value/kiddie meal, get a BK themed Xbox/360 game).

Next game I buy in the near future will probably be Elebits. I loves my cutesy, quirky games.

Comment

Did anyone try Red Steel yet?

Let me know if it's good

Comment

I was one of the folks that showed up at best buy around 8:00 or so. i was number 81. I thought it went great as well.

I played red steel for a little while tonight and it's really fun. The controls are really cool in that you control movement with the nunchuck and looking and shooting with the emote. the only issue I have had with it is that the resolution isn't great so it can be hard to pick out the baddies at a distance. I was playing on my smallest TV though before I hook up to the main system tonight, so it might be better then.

I didn't get anywhere with a sword yet, so I can't comment on that, but the gun play is right on. Give me another day and I'll give you a better read on it.

Comment

how much is the console itself and will it play the old games like Paper Mario and stuff? never had a nintendo thingie but do have ps2, xbox and the 360.

Comment

Working...
                              X