Powerline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerline

The latest edition of "The Atlantic" arrived in my mailbox this week, and while reading it I found a technology column which discusses a way of converting your house's electrical wiring into an Ethernet network for a couple of hundred bucks. Unfortunately the article is subscription-only (I looked), but it mentions the Homeplug Powerline Alliance as THE source for info about this wondrous deal. Essentially you buy a couple of adapters, plug one into a wall outlet, connect it to your router, plug another adapter into a wall outlet in another room which has a computer, plug THAT one into the computer's Ethernet jack, and Presto! You've got a home network using existing wiring. No cable to run up and down hallways, no nothin'.

It can also work with USB and wireless.

I'm thinking it would be far cheaper over time than buying Roadrunner or DSL for the phone line Mom uses to dial up to get on line.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Powerline

The technology has been around for years. But the last I heard, it had a reputation for not being very fast. I wonder how much it's improved?

As far as not having to pay for an Internet connection? I suspect you'd still need an Internet connection to plug your powerline network into, just like you need an Internet connection to plug your Ethernet network into. As it stands, I believe powerline is just another local area network technology.

Or are you talking about the power company actually providing Internet service? If HECO were to actually get into the ISP business and send IP traffic all over the island via power lines, they'd probably tack it onto your electricity bill.

Comment

Re: Powerline

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      The technology has been around for years. But the last I heard, it had a reputation for not being very fast. I wonder how much it's improved?
      Per Jim Fallows in the Atlantic, it's improved so much you don't even notice any degradation.

As far as not having to pay for an Internet connection? I suspect you'd still need an Internet connection to plug your powerline network into, just like you need an Internet connection to plug your Ethernet network into. As it stands, I believe powerline is just another local area network technology.
      One person pays (me); the other person (Mom) piggybacks on my (pre-existing) DSL connection.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
      X