New Custom Built Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Custom Built Computer

I can build one and ship it out to virtually any location and to anyone who wants one via FedEx or Postal service. If I have to ship out the cost goes up to take care of shipping, notice I didn't include the word, "Handling"? All I ask is that the money come up front.

I've had three builds where I'm still trying to collect and one case where I ended up eating the cost of an ATI/Saphire 256MB Graphics card one "friend" wanted installed that I ordered after a verbal comittment then she backed out leaving me holding this card. It's now in my 17-year old boy's computer (the first one I built) along with a P4 running 3.06Ghz on an overclocked Soyo Motherboard hitting the full FSB speed of 800mhz. His is a work in progress computer as is mine but his is fast approaching hard core gaming status.

I'm not a computer expert, as a matter of fact if you dig deep enough on this website, you'll find my original post regarding my first build for one of my kids just inside 2-years ago.

When I first built my first computer, I picked up virtually every computer magazine on Border's shelves and began reading them over and over again. Even if I didn't understand what the hell I was reading I kept reading them until finally pieces of information from different articles started making sense like PC3200 RAM is the same as DDR400 and is faster than PC2700 RAM. And stuff like Socket 478 vs Socket A Mobo's and the kinds of processors that will work with them.

Once I had a clear understanding of what the heck all that meant (and it's all terminology) I was ready for my first build based on a simple Barebones kit from Soyo. The motherboard, power supply, CD-ROM and Floppy drives were already mounted in a case. The included Celeron-D processor/heatsink had to be installed along with the memory sticks and hard drive that I had to buy separately. When I fired it up for the first time, nothing happened and my dreams of building my first computer came crashing to a halt. Then I read the mobo manual and realized I had to reset the BIOS by jumping pins 2 and 3 while unplugging the powersupply. On bootup the system came alive POSTing to the part when I had to install an OS. Success!

Every build after that was a learning experience to the point where I've built over 20 computers for people (from scratch) and repaired countless others in the past 2-years from computer ignorant to somewhat literate, enough to build solid computers at cost for anyone I come across.

My work ethic comes from my good friend Speedex who built computers for me and worked on my cars for the cost of parts only in the past, now that I know how to build computers, I pass on that knowledge for free.

BTW last week was Speedex's dad's funeral at Hawaiian Memorial Cemetary and it was an honor for me when he asked me to do the Eulogy. I owe a lot of my work ethic to Speedex and his late father.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 12, 2006, 08:42 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

hi craig. wow. that's an interesting story. you're definitely a determined guy. i don't think i'd be motivated enuf to plow through all those magazines and then to take the plunge. i'd be less surprised if you said that your good friend speedex guided you as you assembled your first computer and that every one after that has been a learning experience. congratulations!

i'm sorry to hear about the four cases where you're generosity was taken advantage of. amazing that people would do that to a "friend". for your sake, i hope you'll be more careful about who you offer to help cuz i'd hate for you to be taken advantage of again.

the friend who built my present computer lives here in honolulu so i'll probably go that route when i need a new one, but it's good to know that you'd consider my request in case my friend's busy (he's got a 2 year old daughter like me and i can easily imagine him being too busy to help me out when the time comes). and of course, you're right: i'd get the money to you upfront before i'd ask you to buy/assemble anything.

i'm sorry too about speedex's dad. i hope it wasn't a situation where his family didn't have the chance to say whatever was in their hearts to say before he passed away.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

MSI mobos suck. sorry.....ASUS & Gigabyte are my choices.

hey craig It is speedtek not speedex......................

Comment

Oh yeah getting mixed up with the underwear and your last speed shop

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
            MSI mobos suck. sorry.....ASUS & Gigabyte are my choices.

hey craig It is speedtek not speedex......................

Asus by far is the best in my oppinion. I have had my mobo for the last 3-4 years and have had only one poblem with it to which Asus replaced it for free even though it was a few months outside the warranty date.
            808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
            kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
            http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Oh yeah getting mixed up with the underwear and your last speed shop
              that is spandex dummy!

Most of Asus mobo warranty is 3 years. Best of all they dont ask for a receipt.

Comment

MSI sucks eh...? thats what my custom built computer Mobo is
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy

Oh well and it only has two PCI expansion slots.

As for Asus, I'll probably try it on a future build. The only reason why I'm hesitant on Asus is when I go to NewEgg.com and look at the customer response to Asus, I don't see a lot of positive remarks. It seems they are prone to DOA boards.

Two things I like about Biostar is that their prices are reasonable and their boards overclockable. Some boards lock their clock settings. I only had one problem with Biostar but it later turned out to be a problem with the WD hard drive's setting.

When I'm ready to build my bullet proof computer (almost there) I'll consider using an Asus.

Comment

My previous rig had an MSI board on it. It lasted me 3 years which is kinda long for me. I like Asus too but I opted for an Abit board for my new machine this time around.
                    I'm no computer techie but I too build my own machines...it's really not that hard to do. Online gaming taught me a lot about computers because we were always tweaking our rigs as much as possible to get an advantage. I get most my info from friends and via the internet.

Originally posted by Konaguy

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                      Oh well and it only has two PCI expansion slots.
                      I can live with two PCI slots...I just didn't realize MSI Mobos suck..
                      Hopefully this Mobo will last.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        I'm no computer techie but I too build my own machines...it's really not that hard to do.

Well for me I couldnt wait around to order parts. I didnt even have a available computer to order parts for a new computer. In short I was in a rock and a hard
                        place. On top that it might be easy, but I didnt want to try to build and troubleshoot if I ran into problems.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X