X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Dr. Frankenstein on a computer

From this thread:

Originally posted by Pomai
    Smart move. "Frankensteining" your old storage parts allowed most of that $600 to go towards new performance parts.
    I guess I am not the only one who uses the term "Frankensteining" around computers. At work, most times I think play "Igor" who is cursed with a very small graveyard and all the good parts are gone.

Re: Playing Dr. Frankenstein on a computer

We do it at work all the time. Not only with computers, but even office furniture. Such as the highly worn-and-torn office chair. You know, those ones you sit on everyday with the 5-wheeled base and that pneumatic shaft that adjusts the chair height.

Never fails, either the pneumatic part or the wheels break, and we end up taking it apart and turning it into a "new" Frankenstein chair made up of 5 generations of chairs before it.

It really bugs me when I can't salvage old RAM chips due to different configurations. Such a waste.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

It really bugs me when I can't salvage old RAM chips due to different configurations. Such a waste.
      Gosh, how eccentric, quoting myself, but this just sparked a rather ingenious idea!

You know how they have those multi-flash card readers for SD, Compact Flash, XD, etc.? Well, they should make a PCI card memory adapter. One with multiple open slots for every size and configuration of RAM, that could be collectively installed in any given order and used in all its glorious quantity.

If I had that, I'd probably have several TERABYTES of RAM running right now!

Unless it already exists. Anyone seen such a thing?
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Gosh, how eccentric, quoting myself, but this just sparked a rather ingenious idea!

You know how they have those multi-flash card readers for SD, Compact Flash, XD, etc.? Well, they should make a PCI card memory adapter. One with multiple open slots for every size and configuration of RAM, that could be collectively installed in any given order and used in all its glorious quantity.

If I had that, I'd probably have several TERABYTES of RAM running right now!

Unless it already exists. Anyone seen such a thing?
        The problem with running old RAM is the speed and voltage among other design issues. They simply won't work with each other.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X