Need help getting network back connected online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting network back connected online

Since about 100 heads are better than one, I need some help in getting my network back up and running, as I'm stressing with working with Cisco routers.

Ever since the island wide brownout on June 1st, my internet connection has been going haywire. I tried resetting the router three times a day, pinging the router and accessing the router's webpage, but it didn't work. I remade the network cable ends and tried three different computers, but no luck. Finally, I just replaced the router this morning, and now I can only access the router's webpage or ping the router 3 out of the 5 times I tried. When I connect a computer directly to the modem and obtain an IP address from them, I can get online and do the things I need to do.

Of course this is with HiTel DSL.

Help is appreciated, and if you want to come over, then that'd be better. I called HiTel last night, but they said that they wouldn't support the router I have, and since I got the same model (different firmware) I won't dare to call them again.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Need help getting network back connected online

switch to haw rr

Comment

When you reset the router did you also turn the router off for a few minutes and then turn it back on?

Also did you unplug the router's power supply from the outlet for a few minutes?

Comment

Read this month's issue of Smart Computing. Excellent article on networking.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

What kind of router are you using?

I'm sure I can loan you something to test, as I have extra routers here on my rack.

Since you say you can now access the routers web page, you mean you can access the web config for the router right?

If so, check the following:

1. are you gettting a DHCP address on your WAN link

2. Is your DHCP server on your LAN turned on. It should be since you're able to access the config.

3. Is this a router that has a wireless AP too? If so, make sure you don't have it in bridge mode, and that it's trying to access another open network nearby to set as the default gateway.

I should also add that HiTel should have done a line test. Did they do one? Can they see your modem from their side?

Let me know, and I'll meet you somewhere to drop you another spare to test. I also have a spare westell modem too.
          Last edited by hinokei; June 14, 2006, 04:45 PM. Reason: added more troubleshooting tips

Comment

I just came home and inadvertently went online to email someone who called me on TheBus and I got online! I don't know if the router needed some time to sync itself or what, but atleast that's one less pressure off my back.

Comment

Maybe not your stuff that was the problem but maybe the equipment outside your control (the other end of the wire where you get your DSL service from).

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                Maybe not your stuff that was the problem but maybe the equipment outside your control (the other end of the wire where you get your DSL service from).
                Since Adrian said he had problems pinging his own router, that would be a problem on his end.

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                  Since Adrian said he had problems pinging his own router, that would be a problem on his end.
                  Yep, and plus I could go online if hooked up my laptop directly to the modem, so what puzzled me more was that a new router couldn't get online, nor had problems being connected to.

Anyway, everything's okay now. I even borrowed choke books for the weekend if I didn't succeed.

Comment

How old is the router. My D-Link crashed and burned after 3 years and I had same problems as you. I ended up buying a Linksys and got back online
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      How old is the router. My D-Link crashed and burned after 3 years and I had same problems as you. I ended up buying a Linksys and got back online
                      I have the Linksys BEFSR41v4 with firmware 1.04.02, and if I remember correctly, I used the BEFSR41v3 with a much older firmware. Also, based on google searches, its fairly new (one post was made last christmas) so hopefully it'll last us another four years (damn, you get cut off of something that you have that long and you feel like you've died.)

Comment

To elaborate further on what happened, my D-Link DI-604 repeatedly would disconnect. I even tried pinging the box and it would time out. I got fed
                        up and bought a Linksys BEFRS41 router at Wal-Mart.It solved the problem.

When did you buy your router ?
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Oh... I thought you were talking about an actual Cisco router

I actually had a Cisco 2621 to loan you if you needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by hinokei
                            Oh... I thought you were talking about an actual Cisco router

I actually had a Cisco 2621 to loan you if you needed it.
                            No, we use them at school (old Cisco 2501s if I remember correctly).

Originally posted by Konaguy
                            When did you buy your router ?
                            The first router was bought four years ago. The second was bought this morning. (didn't know compusa opened at 8am)

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                              The first router was bought four years ago.
                              That was the one you were having problems with..correct ? Yeah the timeframe is correct..Mine died after 3 years.
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X