I'm (apparently) a Serial Spammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm (apparently) a Serial Spammer

I did something I've never done in years of owning my own domain: Check the postmaster mailbox. My webhost suggests that I set up a postmaster address for every domain I plan to send mail from, since some spam filters won't accept mail from a domain without a postmaster@____.___ mailbox.

Seven thousand messages. All of them bounced message notifications or auto-replies sent to various names @ my domain. Spambots are using my domain as their reply-to recipients as in "micheletusutherland@[my domain]."

This shouldn't piss me off, but it does, especially since my NAME is my domain. I don't need my personal and professional name to be associated with spam, and yet there it is. And I can't think of a single thing to do about it. You can set your reply-to address as anything you want.

As far as I know, I haven't had legitimate mail blocked because I've been blacklisted as the result of some spambot who got there before me, but I wonder how far down the line that is, and I wonder if I'll know.

Anyone have any ideas at all about how I might become, once again, master of my domain?
    Last edited by scrivener; June 26, 2006, 07:07 PM. Reason: "...but some stupid with a flare gun burned the place to the ground..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: I'm (apparently) a Serial Spammer

What I do is block any IP addresses that spam me. This way, even if they know my domain name, they won't be able to send. If you are using Linux under Fedora, update /etc/mail/deny file.

Comment

The problem is not that I'm receiving spam. The problem is that spammers are sending spam with reply-to addresses that use my domain. Thanks for the tip, though.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I get this problem with my email address being used to spam others, and it is not even my own domain. It is myemailname @ serviceprovider.com. Worst is I get bounced messages in my name as well as a few spams that are sent to me with my own address attached to it, which is really frustrating as I seem to have no control on who's using it.

I guess I should check the postmaster @ mydomainname.com mailboxes to see if I am having the same problem as you. Although for my webhost provider I think they have a way of me disabling that default email addrress and setting up another more unique named one in its place... or even none at all.

That's why for my public address I use yahoo or gmail.
        Last edited by mel; June 27, 2006, 12:20 AM. Reason: remove email tags
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          I think they have a way of me disabling that default email addrress and setting up another more unique named one in its place... or even none at all.
          It's definitely a good idea to not have unused mailboxes on your domain, particularly at the most common addresses, like webmaster@, info@, contact@, sales@, help@, etc.

However, some mail systems require that the address postmaster@ exist and accept mail -- or at least, not bounce it -- as proof that the domain is real. So, in that one case, you may have to basically leave a big pit open to collect mail (spam), even if you have no intention of checking or reading it. Once again, an example of a spam fighting solution causing as many problems as it solves.

I own several domains, many of which aren't even used for a website, and a number of them have been used more than once as the fake sender of spam. This usually means a torrent of "returned" e-mail, but fortunately doesn't often land me on a spammer blacklist... because most blacklist systems are IP based and not domain name based (because domain names are so readily spoofed).

Comment

hmmmnnn....the closest I can relate to your pain, Scriv, is having my home isp banned from HT, which required that I google up Czar-kwan, had to give the secret passcode, tithe to a Korean bar of his choosing, and choreograph UHH's alma mater in a lyrical dance style.

sorry, Scriv. What a bummer. There have to be forums for web developers who have ideas on addressing this malady.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              and choreograph UHH's alma mater in a lyrical dance style.
              We have an alma mater?
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                choreograph UHH's alma mater
                You both attended the University of Hubert Humphrey?

(Never mind - I've been informed that is UHHH.)
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 27, 2006, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X