Pirated XP checks to stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirated XP checks to stop

Got this from Smart Computing's bulletin board. Interesting read on this touchy subject:

http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Pirated XP checks to stop

I've been told that if Windows XP is installed on computers with, shall we say "acquired software", it will disable these programs and the software will be useless. Can anyone confirm this? If thats the case, boy are there a lot of folks that would be in trouble & end up with no software
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
      I've been told that if Windows XP is installed on computers with, shall we say "acquired software", it will disable these programs and the software will be useless. Can anyone confirm this? If thats the case, boy are there a lot of folks that would be in trouble & end up with no software

That sounds like a urban legend to me. My guess is
      its more likely Windows Vista might do this. Bear in mind XP is nearly 6 years
      old and getting old in the tooth.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
        I've been told that if Windows XP is installed on computers with, shall we say "acquired software", it will disable these programs and the software will be useless.
        The closest will be that MS will switch off PCs if they failed WGA. But another source says that MS already has pulled WGA (I forgot the link, but I read it today)
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Read this. It's about WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) and how to disable it for those ahem...AhhhhackedChoo XP Pro OSsssssss: http://www.infopackets.com/channels/...the_bigfix.htm
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks Craig.

I guess I wasn't clear - the Windows XP would be purchased from CompUSA probably. I was talking about other software that may already, possibly, in some far realm of possibility, already be on the computer in question.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
            X