Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clear Tower Hard drives??

Originally posted by MadAzza
    her insistence on using that annoying blue font??
    In keeping with the topic of this thread, Perhaps Serenity should use a CLEAR, TRANSPARENT font color like this!<<<<<highlight there

Silence is golden... Lemon Chiffon, actually.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We had a discussion about this when a noob showed a picture of a clear tower and was raving about it like it was the first of its kind. Lets just say one of the comments was "that looks like a ricer for computers".

Two of my own-built computes has windows (the first I modded in, the other had it preinstalled) and even though it shows the insides of the case, unless you organize it like a clean freak, then its basically useless.

Then again, pointing to the topic title, there has been some hard drives that had the top cut open and put a clear plastic-like cover to watch the spindles, same goes to a CD drive.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Quite honestly showing off your electronics is a bit nerdy to me. However said, those clear lucite cases have one problem, that is they crack if you drop or over torque the case screws.

And eventually the dust gathering inside the case (like around the fans) will make for a really messy display of obsolete hardware. Yes obsolete because your Dual 512Mb DDR PCI-E SLI Nvidia cards will be so old news in a year and with a clear case you'll have to constantly upgrade and clean that box more often than not.

I like to hide my wiring because it's nothing to brag about. Imagine clear double walled homes...ooooh showing off that 12/3 Romex wiring! Not!!!

Clear cases and windows are basically bragging about your build and if you got nothing to brag about I wouldn't show it off.

Regarding those clear top hard drives, again I don't see the logic in that one considering most hard drives are mounted in bays that orient the drive in such a way that you can't see the window anyway! And unless they start making windows for external hard drive enclosures, no one will see the spinning platter(s) anyway.
        Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 8, 2006, 07:44 PM.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          Regarding those clear top hard drives, again I don't see the logic in that one considering most hard drives are mounted in bays that orient the drive in such a way that you can't see the window anyway! And unless they start making windows for external hard drive enclosures, no one will see the spinning platter(s) anyway.
          I guess its the ambition of the modder. Mostly everyone did a window case mod. Besides, its like car people: different tastes for different people.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I have a clear tower case. It's fun to look at and all, but my particular case is difficult to get into because it doesn't have a modern quick release latch. Plus after a while the dirt that builds up is actually visible unlike solid cases...

Comment

and remember those lucite cases will crack in time. Metal cases are more resilient when it comes to expansion and contraction, plastics just develop stress cracks at the mounting points where the plastic is bound by fasteners and are restricted from stretching and shrinking with the rest of it's surface.

Something to consider if you run your computer hot in an airconditioned environment.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
              X