Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetris (Clone) on OSX

Timing is everything.

My wife loves Tetris. The way some office drones are about the Solitare game that came on old Win9x systems, Kilinahe is about Tetris. Of course, almost everyone loves Tetris. It's one of the most popular computer-based games of all time, and probably the most recognizable computer puzzle game in the world.

Of course, it also has the unfortunate distinction of being one of the most legally confused and disputed "brands" in the world as well. (Some notes in the Tetris entry in Wikipedia.) This globally-known game even has a local connection, as the company licensed to distribute Tetris in North America, Blue Planet, is based here.

This means it's sometimes hard to get "real" Tetris. I actually owned the infamous Tengen cartridge for the original Nintendo system, and later sold on eBay simply because it was so rare. And I'm sure we've all played a few other games called Tetris, or based on Tetris, but frankly it's hard to know if you're playing an "official" version of the game, or one of a billion derivatives. Lately, Kilinahe had been playing a Java version online, which was buggy and slow. But she loved Tetris so much, she put up with it.

Well, yesterday, I was browsing the list of games on the Apple website. One of the recently updated games, and a top download of the week, was a game called Quinn. An "implementation" of Tetris. I downloaded it, and tried it out. Perfect! Lightweight, elegant in that OSX elegant way, and with an easy networked play feature that allowed my wife and I to play Tetris against each other. We were up late last night, Kilinahe kicking my butt every single time.

I woke up this morning and decided to download a copy to my kids' Mac, too. And discovered sometime overnight, the Quinn developers had gotten a cease-and-desist note from The Tetris Company. No more Quinn (unless you happened to grab it earlier). They say they're going to explore their options, but given how Tetris squabbles have turned out in the past, I suspect Quinn is gone for good... and meanwhile, we'll have to wait years for an "official" version of Tetris comes out for the Mac.

Timing is everything. Kilinahe is sure glad I went looking for Tetris yesterday, rather than today!

Digg it, baby...

Re: Tetris (Clone) on OSX

My Samsung flip phone came with a Tetris demo from JAMDAT. After playing it just a few times I almost got addicted enough to buy the full version. A FREE OS X version would be great! Lucky Kilinahe, you.

How well did you do on the sale of that Tengan cartridge on eBay? I bet it was lucrative.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Well, Jamdat is the company that picked Tetris up for mobile phones from our Blue Planet. So at least it's "official" Tetris, ya know? I'm bummed that Quinn got yanked, but since it was the number one puzzle game download at Apple until today, I doubt it'll be hard to find out in the wild.

The Tengen cartridge went for $100 or so, IIRC. Here's a write up on the whole fiasco.

There are lots of games inspired by Tetris, including one using triangle shapes instead of squares. Some clever variations out there, to be sure, but you just can't beat the original.

Comment

With all the clones of Tetris floating around, I would think there are more options of Mac OSX users to find another Tetris game. I have several older Tetris games that I can run on Macs using OS 8, 7 and System 6. I also have a Tetris game cartridge for Nintendo 8 bit but the console no longer works... only get grey screen.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Indeed, there are lots of Tetris clones out there, and a number of Tetris-like games as well. But few are as elegant as they could be, some are buggy, and a couple (on the PC side) unsurprisingly infested with malware. Quinn was designed to follow Tetris gameplay exactly, built for OSX, beautifully implemented, and free.

For what it's worth, Quinn seems to still be available on a couple of download sites...

Comment

Thanks for the link. I downloaded it. Quinn requires 10.4.2 or higher. So I guess I will have to hold off on actually trying this out until I get around to upgrading to Tiger.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

OK, I'm treading into a gray area here, but I've been playing the original Atari arcade game using the MacMAME emulator program, which has been a staple on every Mac I've had for the last 8 years or so. The program itself is freeware, but you'll have to search around for the game ROMs. I play everything from Galaxian to Moon Cresta without popping quarters, and can still remember my Pac-Man patterns over 25 years later but I digress....

Comment

Quinn's back! With typical geek snark, here's how the developer now describes the game:
                Quinn is an implementation of a popular falling-blocks game, which, according to the Tetris Company, must not be named here.
                Get it before the lawyers get riled up again!

Comment

What's the highest score you've got on Quinn so far? I stayed up several hours OT last night on that darned thing! Highest I got was 24,631 points with 117 lines @ 8.7 lpm. You guys are probably in the 6 or 7 figure category I bet.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    Quinn's back! With typical geek snark, here's how the developer now describes the game:Get it before the lawyers get riled up again!
                    I was just at the site and it seems to be unavailable again. Any chance you have a recent DMG file?

Comment

Working...
                    X