Help me buy RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me buy RAM

Hello, I got a question about my computer. I wanna add some more ram in my computer to AT LEAST 1 gig.

My mobo supports PC2700 DDR SDRAM. My question is; will I have to pair the same types of ram? Currently in my computer I have two 256mb PC2700 sticks or ram of different brands. Is it possibly for me to just buy a 512mb stick and add that to the equation?

Also, I noticed that PC3200 sticks are cheaper than PC2700 sticks (or so i think) and what if a PC2700 stick is unavailable for me and I am forced to buy a PC3200+ stick. What will happen if I do that and will it cause errors?
    I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Re: Help me buy RAM

You can buy PC3200 RAM modules and run it with your PC2700 modules as long as the PC3200 isn't dual channel or DDR2. The problem is that your mobo will ramp down the speed of your PC3200 RAM from 400 MHz to 333 MHz to put it on par with your PC2700 RAM.

I'm told it's better to run two sticks of memory instead of one stick of the same amount.

For me I'd buy the faster PC3200 RAM because eventually you'll probably buy more RAM for another computer so having the faster RAM modules will help you then. And mixing brands is okay sometimes. But as a general rule of thumb I'd stick with the same manufacturer.

BTW when looking for RAM look for the voltage latency. That's why some faster RAM modules seem cheaper than slower ones. I can't remember what it is about latency but it's important, maybe someone can interject in this area.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Well, I went to CompUSA and bought a 512 stick of ram added it into my computer and prayed for the best. Evidently it worked and I finally have 1gig of ram.

At CompUSA they are selling PNY brand 512mb DDR400 PC3200 sticks for $60 but you get a half off after mail in rebate.

Id still like to learn more about voltage latency of the memory chips though.
      I hope to be a Biochemist someday

Comment

If you don't get your answer here, try www.dslreports.com. There is treasure trove of forums there where you can find out more about voltage latency of the memory chips
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I have two Kingston 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM on my custom built computer.
          It really cooks with 1GB of RAM
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Head over to DealRam knowledged, fast shipping and good prices.

Comment

Working...
            X