Looking for a reliable web host/domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a reliable web host/domain

I guess I better start making the base for my computer service company, and the first thing I'm doing is to make a website.

Anyone got any experience with webhosting companies that offers domain names? Got any suggestions?

And should my address be long, or short?
    Last edited by adrian; July 14, 2006, 01:41 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Looking for a reliable web host/domain

Domain name strategy is a longstanding and endlessly debated field, but I think the short answer is, shorter is better -- except if you end up having to get so cryptic in your acronym or reference that no one's going to guess it on their own.

As for hosting, I call tell you that my hodgepodge of various online projects (including HawaiiThreads.com) is hosted by Dreamhost. Lots of bang for the buck, though they're not a very big company and are a little quirky. For clients that demand an established, reputable host (i.e. a "brand name"), I use either 1and1.com or Web.com (formerly Interland).

Remember that domain name registration is a separate service from hosting, and you don't need to get both from the same company. Most definitely don't pay what Network Solutions asks for a domain name. My registrar of choice is Dotster.

Comment

Your domain name should be easy to remember and to associate with you. That's my only advice about that.

Since I'm the first to respond to this, I'd like to recommend my webhost, Dreamhost, which I was first referred to by HTers Pzarquon and Donna. In the three or so years I've worked with Dreamhost, I have had maybe two or three days when my sites were not accessible for whatever reasons; I have had a handful of days when my webmail wasn't immediately retrievable. So there have been SOME problems. However, I have had my service increased repeatedly without ever having my costs go up. My bandwidth allowance just keeps getting bigger and bigger; my storage quota has doubled (I think), my domain-name allowance first doubled and then became unlimited, and the correspondence has been prompt and friendly. Dreamhost does not offer everything that's out there, but I have found that to be a small trade-off for what I do get.

I give my wholehearted endorsement to Dreamhost.

Dreamhost also has a referral incentive program. If you feel so inclined to list me as your referrer, please tell them scrivener was kind enough to point you in Dreamhost's direction! But it's cool if you list someone else...I'm happy with my service with or without the referral program.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        Since I'm the first to respond to this... Dreamhost also has a referral incentive program.
        Heh. Type faster next time!

The incentive program is neat. Sure offsets a lot of the costs involved with hosting a couple of dozen sites there. But don't pick a webhost to help others. Pick the one that gives you what you need for what you're willing to pay. UNIX or Microsoft based? Secure certificates? FrontPage extensions? SQL/MySQL? Lots of goodies, a snazzy control panel, or a blank, "build your own" philosophy?

Dreamhost has its share of issues, and last I checked, some pretty horrid ratings. I stay with them because I've been with 'em for over ten years, and because -- as scrivener notes -- they continuously increase our level of service without increasing prices.

I also happen to think that Dreamhost, in addition to being less stuffy than most companies, offers a lot of neat things, like one-click installs of CMS like Joomla or WordPress, seamless IMAP/POP/webmail service, and the like. You can sign up with them and have a functioning site in no time. The real work is limited to making it look and feel the way you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Heh. Type faster next time!
          Oh, I supposed I could have done the "type a hurried response and then edit it" strategy, but I took some time giving Adrian a thoughtful answer!

However, your answer was much better than mine, as always. I'll agree that it helps to look at what all the other services offer, because there is a very, very wide range of services available out there. My own experience, though, was that Dreamhost's service was pretty easy for a beginner like me to jump into; It was able to do almost everything I was able to think of, and it wasn't hard to figure out. When I wasn't sure about something I asked Pzarquon and Donna, who also had Dreamhost accounts, and they were always totally helpful.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            Oh, I supposed I could have done the "type a hurried response and then edit it" strategy, but I took some time giving Adrian a thoughtful answer!
            That's a strategy? Who does that? The whole "first post" thing isn't an issue here, is it? Er... never mind. Derailing.

Yes, Adrian, you'll have plenty of local support to help you should you go with Dreamhost. I just hope you get more suggestions, and that you make an informed choice. In some circles, Dreamhost is a bad, bad word, and I'm sure there are some people who think Network Solutions is great. Collect testimonials, read the fine print... and do tell us where you end up, and what you build!

Comment

and I'm sure there are some people who think Network Solutions is great.
              Somehow I doubt that, at least now. Five years ago, maybe.

I use Dotster for domain registry. They are very good at sending out reminders about renewals (even though mine is done automatically).

If you've got the extra $15, register "your name.com" just so nobody else does.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                Somehow I doubt that, at least now. Five years ago, maybe.
                You'd be surprised. Network Solutions isn't still making money hand over fist for no reason. Lots of businessfolk would be hard pressed to name any other company in the domain registry space, considering how long NetSol had the market to itself. And even today, I can tell you first hand that there will be people who insist on paying them $35 instead of anyone else $10 simply because of their dominance. These are the same folks who love the saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."
                If you've got the extra $15, register "your name.com" just so nobody else does.
                I'd owned and lost maybe 50, 60 other domain names before I got around to nabbing my own name. Though I guess it's a good idea. Just look at Bevery Harbin!

Comment

Well, you never know when you might want to do something with it. I had my resumé under Linkmeister for a long time until I decided that it might look a little more professional (and not have links to my blog) to put the thing under stevetimberlake.com.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Mine is GoDaddy.com! They give all kinds of reminders.

Easy to use.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I've been using iPowerweb for over two years and I couldn't ask for anything better.

Comment

Tigertech.net for me...probably for at least 4-5 years. Great tech support, too, and free domain registration with hosting.

Comment

I finally made my decision. My host is dreamhost.com and I registered with dotster. The website name is "pyehac.com". Now, to make the website...
                          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Dreamhost has its share of issues, and last I checked, some pretty horrid ratings.
                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

hmmm. would you tell me what specifically is out of whack with dreamhost? i've used aplus.net, ipowerweb and powweb and they've all been pretty good/reliable....
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

a local company that host's some of DOE's content...

http://wet-sand.com

I have no affiliation... just giving a local option other than I know DOE uses it for some of there sites.

Comment

Working...
                              X