Transfering files from one Mac G4 to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfering files from one Mac G4 to another

A client wants me to transfer files from a Mac G4 to a slightly newer Powermac g4.

1) What is the best way to transfer the files/software? (they'll try to find the discs, but I don't think Macs has a registry like Windows does do they?)
    2) How much are the cables to do the transfer?
    3) any other information/tips?

I'm doing it this Saturday. They want the old computer to be used for internet surfing by the kids, while the more powerful computer will be used for graphics (what their currently doing).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Transfering files from one Mac G4 to another

Are both computers running OSX? Apple does have a built-in migration tool... though folks say its abilities range from passable to disastrous.

OSX is much better about organizing and containing application data (especially compared to the way Windows apps blow DLLs all over creation), but even so, it's better to just reinstall programs from scratch than trying to copy them over. Various permissions and such are set by the process that might not be replicated in a copy.

As for the user data, that's straightforward enough. OSX organizes directories like UNIX. So you can just move the user's home folder from one machine to the next. You'll definitely want to do a "repair permissions" on all files, though, to make sure everything works right on the new system.

As for how much the cables are... um... maybe you do some research on your own? After all, if this is your business, you should be able to do your job -- or at least pay for the advice you get from others!

Comment

you are kidding right adrian

I guess if I ever start up a business... I know where to get my free labor
      Right here on HT!

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
        A client wants me to transfer files from a Mac G4 to a slightly newer Powermac g4.

1) What is the best way to transfer the files/software? (they'll try to find the discs, but I don't think Macs has a registry like Windows does do they?)
        2) How much are the cables to do the transfer?
        3) any other information/tips?

I'm doing it this Saturday. They want the old computer to be used for internet surfing by the kids, while the more powerful computer will be used for graphics (what their currently doing).
        You can do it via firewire....

1 Make sure your computer is shut down and the power adaptor is plugged it.

2. Use a firewire cable with standard 6 pin connectors on each end to connect your computer to another firewire equipped computer

3. Start up your computer and immediately hold down the T key
        Your computer shows the firewire disc mode indicator. An icon for your computer's hard disc appears on the desktop of the other computer

4. When you are finished transferring files, drag the hard disc icon of your computer into the trash

5. Press the power button on your computer to shut it down, then disconnect the firewire cable.

voila...
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

A friend of my moms bought a new apple computer, as her iMac was
          getting old.She couldn't even get dsl service because the os was too
          old, running system 8.6.

anyway, she does have a super disk drive, but floppies can only handle
          1mb of data. This computer only has a cd-rom too and usb.I can't fathom
          how i'm going to transfer all her files to the new computer.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
            A friend of my moms bought a new apple computer, as her iMac was
            getting old.She couldn't even get dsl service because the os was too
            old, running system 8.6.

anyway, she does have a super disk drive, but floppies can only handle
            1mb of data. This computer only has a cd-rom too and usb.I can't fathom
            how i'm going to transfer all her files to the new computer.
            see above post...it works :-)

Comment

what yaki refers to is target disk mode.
              very simple, easy transfer method.

http://biochemistry.ucsf.edu/~tech/S...tdiskmode.html

i am in fact doing this very thing to an older ibook at this moment. saving all files and reformatting Hd, then loading new osx so it can handle the new java, flash,youtube, etc..

Comment

OR...you could always get an external Firewire drive, dump the data on that, then hook it up to your other machine, and dump it from the drive onto that one...of course it takes twice as long, but then, you have all your stuff backed up, which is ALWAYS a good idea....
                Sadly, I've learned that lesson the hard way, more than once I may add...

Comment

target disk mode.
                  very simple, easy transfer method
                  I was trying to make someone work for their money!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                    see above post...it works :-)
                    I took at look at the link and read your instructions. But I think this iMac
                    only has USB. I don't think it has Firewire...Can this be done through USB
                    ?
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      I took at look at the link and read your instructions. But I think this iMac
                      only has USB. I don't think it has Firewire...Can this be done through USB
                      ?

Are you sure about that ? I'm pretty sure ALL iMacs have firewire. I could be wrong about this one...I've had older iMacs, but maybe the first year or 2 of them didn't have firewire ?

Check again, cos the ports are very similar looking, but a firewire port has a rounded end as opposed to a USB which is all rectangular.

There is a way to do it via the ethernet port too by using Filesharing.
                      Last edited by tikiyaki; August 8, 2006, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                        Are you sure about that ? I'm pretty sure ALL iMacs have firewire. I could be wrong about this one...I've had older iMacs, but maybe the first year or 2 of them didn't have firewire ?

Check again, cos the ports are very similar looking, but a firewire port has a rounded end as opposed to a USB which is all rectangular.

There is a way to do it via the ethernet port too by using Filesharing.
                        This iMac she has is a good 6 years old.The only slots I remember on her
                        computer were on the keyboard. There may be some other slots elsewhere
                        but I didnt see them. Thats another bugaboo, no ethernet, just dialup.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

If it isn't older than the first iMacs (the ones in tangerine, grape, and other flavors), I am nearly certain it has a firewire port.

The only thing I can't say for sure is which versions of Mac OS had the first target-disk mode. But I'm sure someone here knows.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If no firwire, use da USB ports.
                            Old computer should be connected to new computer and have it turned off.
                            new computer should be on. Turn old computer on and at chime sound, hold down the "T" key.
                            You will see some hitech symbol floating around destop of old one. (that is firewire icon) don't worry if no get.
                            Then on new computer, you should see the old computer's icon on yer desktop. Drag everything that you want to save from old com, to a separate folder you created on the n.c. desktop for the purpose.
                            best just to drag and drop the HD icon of old o.c. into the folder. It will take a few minutes. maybe ten or so, if it's a few gbs worth of stuff.
                            Then reformat the o.c. HD using disk utility. Format non unix. Install new OSX. it will take about half hour or so.
                            Shut down everything. unplug everything from each other.
                            restart o.c.
                            o.c. should act like n.c. now!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              The only thing I can't say for sure is which versions of Mac OS had the first target-disk mode. But I'm sure someone here knows.
                              just did this whole thing to an old white ibook, which was running 10.2 sumpin. It is years old, but recognised target disk mode just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X