• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Video Camera?

Hellooooo! I was shopping today for a Video Camera.heheheh

I also bought new furnitures too.

I'm in the buying mood.

I only live once.

K-den. Canon DVD Camcorder? Das all I know. I was trying to look for more information on it but no say. I asked the Salesman and he told me Canon DVD Camcorder. Looks nice.

Anyone familiar with it?

Recommendations.

Reason: I like make My Chinatown Documentary!!!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; August 10, 2006, 03:20 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Best Video Camera?

Here Tita. Some reviews on Canon camcorders (you neva say whether was one mini or one regular camcorder).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Canon cameras are pretty good. Definitely popular among the videoblogging set. Not sure if I'd go for DVD as a recording medium, though. It's convenient if you're just recording stuff to keep and play at home, but if you're going to work with it at all (edit, distribute, post online), DV tape is cheaper. Harder to share, but you wouldn't be giving away your original media, anyway.

Comment

Aunty... I think that Cannon DVD one might be a bit much more than what you actually need.

The camera that you saw of mine... I have found models on EBay for under $75.00 a few weeks ago! (I originally paid about $400.00 Brand New couple years ago)

Your just looking to shoot some short MPEG movie clips yeah? Or you looking to get all Jazzy and do like long distance type surveilance?

I dunno... however, make sure that the person selling you the camera isn't on a commission... Cause they might try to make you buy something you really don't need!

Let me know if you need help some weekend... we go check some out if you need assistance.

But honestly... don't pay more than you need to.... until you become confident in your photography skills and also no need all the fancy stuff until you learn more about Photography and Video in General...

Comment

I apologize for not coming back sooner. I got stuck on da odda threads. Eh, Tita Miulang how you go from one topic to da odda so fast! Speedy Gozalez moa fast den me today. Luv you.

K-den. The Video Camera I looked fits in the palm of my hand. It's a Canon DVD Camcorder. I said dat already.

I would pay $67.00 per month for a year.

PZ, what do you recommend me to buy?

Auntie Lynn

Comment

argh auntie... no do any rent to own type thing... lose money in the long run!

By the time you pay it off... you gonna be looking for an upgrade!

Heck give me 30.00 a month for a year and you can have mine

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              argh auntie... no do any rent to own type thing... lose money in the long run!

By the time you pay it off... you gonna be looking for an upgrade!
              Das how I got my Hp Computa. Pau pay.

I ain't grumbling. If broke I just it trade in. Like before I paid it off I traded it in for one new one. I not Dumb. I pUpUle!!! Anything breaks ~they responsible until I pay it off.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

try this one on ebay...current price $40.00 100% positive feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Digital-Cam...QQcmdZViewItem
                I don't knoow much about E-Bay... however, just trying to help you out with a good starter camera... go check the link...and NO that's not me trying to sell it
                Last edited by damontucker; August 10, 2006, 05:46 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

Auntie, if you have to do the rent to own thingie what I'm about to suggest won't be of any use to you...but I'll suggest it anyway!

I use a Panasonic PV-GS 150, 3 CCD camcorder. And, yes it fits in the palm of my hand altho' I don't use it that way very much. It also has a 2.3mp still photo mode. GREAT video quality 'cuz it's 3 CCD, not 1 CCD like the Canon. I bought it at Best Buy over a year ago...high $600. range. It's upgrade has been released so you can buy the 150 cheaper now.

If all you need is real basic, home movie quality, a Canon should be fine. As PZ mentioned, stick with a miniDV camera, not a DVD camera. Those small disks are expensive. The tapes are so much cheaper.

I also have a Canon Elura as a back-up camera. Comparing the quality on a 1 CCDer to a 3 CCDer is like comparing apples to oranges. If you have higher expectations than home movies for your video then, I'd look into a 3 CCD camcorder such as the Panasonic. Your choice is dependent on the end use.

Comment

Auntie - The camera that I have is all over ebay... the above listing looks to be the best deal at this moment $35.00...(yeah used... but the guy has 100% positive feedback...which means a lot on ebay)
                    If I BUY - I BUY NEW!!!! I no like somebody's Problem!

I got enough already. You one of um. j/k.

I love you
                    Originally posted by tutusue
                    If all you need is real basic, home movie quality, a Canon should be fine. As PZ mentioned, stick with a miniDV camera, not a DVD camera. Those small disks are expensive. The tapes are so much cheaper.
                    Thanks Tutusue! I want to make a small documentary of The True Story Of Chinatown ~ through my eys, ears and mind. Something in which only I can capture on film.

I would also use it for my Blog.

I will take your advice and Pz's.

Also, I've decided not to go with the Rent-to-Own option.

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn

Comment

make sure you copyright the footage before someone takes it from you!
                      Be careful what you put out on your blog if your planning to make an actual film...

You need to leave me at least a few suprises!

Comment

make sure you copyright the footage before someone takes it from you!
                        Be careful what you put out on your blog if your planning to make an actual film...

You need to leave me at least a few suprises!
                        Ainokea if anybody like use or takes. I share what I have. Das the Aloha in me.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Posted By 1stwahine:
                          The camera Manoa had last night as well as the ones I saw Ryan and Kimo55 using at HT's Annual Picnic would be sufficient enough for what I have in mind.
                          so you needing something more now then???

Just wondering cause mine is about 150 new if you can still find it... 5.1 mega pixel isn't cr@p now.

Comment

First of all, don't listen to Manoa.

Secondly, "rent to own" is a bad idea... if that's what you're thinking of doing. That is, one of those "no credit check!" outfits where you'll end up paying three times the cost of the camera over the term of the contract. However, payment plans aren't all bad. For example, a "zero percent for three years" deal from Circuit City or CompUSA. Just remember to pay it off in that period, 'cause otherwise all the interest comes back to bite you in the end.

Thirdly, do think of what you're going to do with your footage. I don't know what the heck "copyright your footage" means -- if you film it, you own the copyright. But, if you put it out there, say on YouTube, you are distributing it or licensing it and unscrupulous parties could try and make money off your work. Since your intent is public interest and exposure, this might not bother you... but you still could look into, for example, using a Creative Commons license for what you put out there. I do this, to specify that you can use and redistribute my stuff if you credit me and if its for non-commercial purposes. Of course, I also post to YouTube and other sites, which according to some folks means I'm technically screwed. I doubt I'm giving away anything priceless, though, and I too simply like sharing stories and scenes rather than making money.

If there are any legal issues you need to study up on, it'll be to get rock solid on what and where you can film. Public spaces like public streets, you're generally in the clear, but other venues can get complicated. And, of course, you need to be prepared for the different ways people will react to being filmed. But I know you are, 'cause you're Aunty Lynn.

But, of course, all this doesn't answer your actual question, which is, which camera to get.

Like Tutusue, I reiterate the recommendation against a camera that records direct to DVD. There are only a limited number of scenarios where that makes sense. Still, what camera to get depends on what you intend to do with your footage.

Are you planning on just taking short clips as you spot them, and pop them online as is? In this case, you probably don't even need a digital video camera. A still digital camera with a movie mode would be fine. You can take the movie right off the camera and upload it and you're done. For this I might recommend one of the Casio Exilim models -- 30fps, decent resolution, affordable and small. The advantage of this approach is that these cameras are small and unobtrusive, and won't intimidate like a conventional video camera.

But, if you're planning on collecting extensive amounts of footage, archiving them, posting some as clips but saving the rest for documentaries or other productions that'll require editing and the like, you definitely want a MiniDV camera. You can fill up tape after tape after tape... but also connect it to a computer to grab the bits you want for a one-off clip.

Tutu's camera is a great one. The key there, I'd say, is the 3CCD chip. That basically means there are three sensors collecting video information rather than the usual one. Video captured on those cameras are rich and gorgeous. You could even go looking for HD video cameras, but personally that level of quality is probably overkill. The only thing about higher end cameras, of course, is that they're expensive. And, you know, maybe not the sort of thing you want to tote all over Chinatown and MWH.

You can get a very good, very reasonable MiniDV camera for $300-600. And, like I said, Canon's are well regarded. Post your price range and I could give you specific model recommendations.

One final caveat: If you're going to be doing video editing, you're probably going to need a computer with more horsepower. The fastest way to get into editing and publishing multimedia is on a Mac, but that's also the most expensive. You can also do well with, say, Adobe Premiere Elements on a relatively new PC.

Comment

Auntie, where you stay shopping?

If you like, I can tag along so you no get ripped off. Some salespeople do mean things to people who don't know.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X