No announcement yet.

Sony MYLO -- Anyone excited about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony MYLO -- Anyone excited about this?

Thanks but no thanks. I'm happy and liberated without having to be tied to a cell phone. Without people calling me when I am away from the home or office. I like it like that.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

tmobiles pay as you go plans are only cost effective if you buy in $100 increments. the values change between $0.33($10 refill)-$0.10/min($100 refill). if you dont use the phone very much and always buy $100 refills, it could be cheaper then $20/month plans.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Can't you already do those things on phones?

I'm sure I could do it on my phone if I paid for it. (It comes with music, camera, IMing, etc but you'd just have to pay the extra for the web and stuff)

I'm just hard pressed to take any extra dollars a month out of my minimum wage-job pay checks to pay for a subscription service, which is probably what you'd need, when I have a computer at home.
        It's magic, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
          tmobiles pay as you go plans are only cost effective if you buy in $100 increments. the values change between $0.33($10 refill)-$0.10/min($100 refill). if you dont use the phone very much and always buy $100 refills, it could be cheaper then $20/month plans.
          and for someone who doesn't want to use the phone feature, $100 up front for 100min/year is pretty terrific for emergency use. The point of the phone feature is to be a wireless modem for the computer when on the go.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by mel
            Thanks but no thanks. I'm happy and liberated without having to be tied to a cell phone. Without people calling me when I am away from the home or office. I like it like that.
            Mel, thats why they come with an on/off switch
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              Mel, thats why they come with an on/off switch
              He might not be aware of this, because this is true only with the cellular phone models made in the last 20 years. *ahem*

pax

Comment

The bottom line on a cell phone is this: I don't want to deal with any more added recurring costs, whether it be monthly, per use or whatever. I like being cell less. This is good for me. There should not be anything wrong with choosing not to own one... just like people who choose not to own a computer, TV or whatever. Just because we live in a highly technological society, doesn't mean we have to own every genre of gadget there is.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  and for someone who doesn't want to use the phone feature, $100 up front for 100min/year is pretty terrific for emergency use. The point of the phone feature is to be a wireless modem for the computer when on the go.
                  its 1000 min for $100, i assume that you just typo'd it. That was my point, that it comes out cheaper in the long run (for emergency uses only). I recall that using data features (like sidekick) there was a $1.50/day charge and the handset was at full price.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
                    its 1000 min for $100, i assume that you just typo'd it. That was my point, that it comes out cheaper in the long run (for emergency uses only). I recall that using data features (like sidekick) there was a $1.50/day charge and the handset was at full price.
                    $1.50/day is cheap to get mobile internet access for your computer.

pax

Comment

i dont know that you can get internet access on your pc, i think thats just for sidekick internet access. plus your talking about something aruong 56k speeds. i think they might have increased it with evdo devices or something.
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Back OT...on the Sony MYLO...it's cute but I'd like something a bit more business like. My boy has a PSP and was intrigued when he could connect to our wireless network with it.

I'll wait for the next generation of the PSP. Hopefully it will play more mainstream video formats and have a qwerty keyboard for us text-messaging challenged older adults.

Quite frankly when travelling abroad the only internet function I need is to check my email and my cell phone can do that already. Reading the Star Bulletin can be hard on a screen that small and if the story is that important, my cell phone would be ringing from a concerned friend telling me all about it anyway.

And Mel, wait til you get kids that need to be picked up or get sick and need to come home from school while you're out and about.

Portable technology is great stuff to have. Once I was taking my boy and three of his friends to a movie at the Ward Cinemas and was bucking Friday evening traffic getting there from Manoa. I simply got on my PDA and punched up the theater schedules for Ward and found out we weren't gonna make the next showing but when I punched up the Kahala Theaters, I found out we had over 40-minutes to get there from Manoa.

So while detouring to Kahala Mall I called one of the kid's parents that were supposed to meet her child at Ward to instead drive to Kahala Mall. She was enroute and stuck in traffic as well so getting in touch with her enabled her to get to the right place without having to have fought traffic, fought for parking at Ward, fight the crowds and wait for a child that would never have shown up.

We were able to see the movie without a hitch...all thanks to my wireless PDA and cellphones.

So anything that can combine functions such as those can be a welcomed device for those who are on the go and have a polychronic schedule. And what parent of teenagers don't
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                        X