New Computer gadgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Computer gadgets

My new computer came with a webcam - I guess thats a good thing? I need some info on how to use it:

1) does the person I want to communicate with also need to have the webcam or can the "conversations" be one-sided?

2) The camera has a built in microphone - which is best, that or a headset?

3) If I don't know anyone else to talk to with a webcam, would I be better off just removing it from the system?

4) do the folks I communicate with have to have the same quality cam as mine? or do they work with any other brand etc?

Any and all advice & comments would be welcome! This is one little bit of technology that I've never used before. The cam is a Logitech Quick Cam Pro 5000 if that makes any difference.

Mahalo!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Re: New Computer gadgets

1) does the person I want to communicate with also need to have the webcam or can the "conversations" be one-sided?

No the other person you talk does not need a webcam, it can be "one sided" conversation.

I guess it cames down to person perference, I'd like a headset. Or like
    what I saw at Wal-Mart recently,a US Robotics USB phone with Skype
    software, if you'd like to do VoIP.

3) If I don't know anyone else to talk to with a webcam, would I be better off just removing it from the system?

If you are not going to use it and it can be easily detached, I'd remove it.

4) do the folks I communicate with have to have the same quality cam as mine? or do they work with any other brand etc?

To use a webcam, at least I understand, you'd use Yahoo Messenger,ICQ,
    Skype which acts like a bridge to the other person. In other words, the
    other party does not need the same webcam.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Congrats, Fran, on your new computer and your new webcam!

Konaguy's got the answers to all your questions! Yes, you can broadcast video in a chat even if the party doesn't have a camera (they can see you, just not the other way around), you can have a video chat with users of other kinds of cameras (as long as one's camera is compatible with one's IM app, you're good to go), and the built-in mic is fine... though if you become a heavy webcam (or just audio) chatter you might find the better sound quality and reduced feedback of a headset or higher-end mic worthwhile.

Pretty much all the major IM systems support video. AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), which was the 800-lb. gorilla in the IM space and has the added benefit of linking with Apple's iChat network, Yahoo! Messenger, which has been looking pretty slick lately, Windows Live Messenger, which used to be MSN Messenger, and the highly-recommended Skype, which despite its closed system is quickly becoming the company telephone companies are most worried about.

Of course, turning on video in any of these systems is optional, so you don't have to show off your house or hairdo if you don't want to. You might find just graduating from text chat to audio chat to be a world of wonderfulness. But I do encourage you to play with it, with different IM systems, to see what you can do... even if you ultimately decide it's not for you.

And, of course, if you need a "buddy" to connect with, I'm on most of the major systems!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Konaguy's got the answers to all your questions!
        Well whenever a computer question crops up on here, I feel its my duty
        to spread my knowledge and aloha. Computers can be (and are)
        difficult beasts to understand and use, I try to make it easy for
        people to understand and use them.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

A) like Kona said, it can be one sided, junky though cause u no can see the other person and they can see u.
          A) Headset is better , it reduces feedback, and the people that you're talking to can hear u better3) If I don't know anyone else to talk to with a webcam, would I be better off just removing it from the system?
          A) No, keep it, pretty soon thats gunna be the way we all communicate ~ no more text just video, its gunna be like star trek!
          A) cameras are a product of technology, it always seems to get better, the first cam I got was $19.99 at radio shack & it worked just fine
          sigpic

Comment

and I thank you both - my computer geek heroes

PZ - I've got the AIM Triton version right now. If you will PM with your screen name, I'll add you to my buddy list & you can be my guinea pig to test it out. You've already seen me so it won't be a big shock to you LOL. and the computer came with MSN messenger or something already loaded on so I have that one also.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks Kaya for your input also. It did come with a headset.

and also, off topic - but welcome to HT!
              Last edited by anapuni808; September 10, 2006, 06:10 PM.
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                Well whenever a computer question crops up on here, I feel its my duty
                to spread my knowledge and aloha. Computers can be (and are)
                difficult beasts to understand and use, I try to make it easy for
                people to understand and use them.
                I've got the computers down pretty well - can open one up all by myself & install stuff like RAM and drives. I've just never had a webcam before.

Mahalo again!
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                  I've got the computers down pretty well - can open one up all by myself & install stuff like RAM and drives. I've just never had a webcam before.

Mahalo again!
                  It is my please to be an assistance . That being said,I'm impressed you are
                  able to do that stuff.My parents for example have an aversion to computers.
                  So I'm like the chief communicator to the relatives for example
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
                    [COLOR=Green][B]A) No, keep it, pretty soon thats gunna be the way we all communicate ~ no more text just video, its gunna be like star trek
                    Welcome to HT also, I had a chuckle over the star trek comment, as it will
                    happen that we'll be using computers more to communicate with other people.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      It is my please to be an assistance . That being said,I'm impressed you are
                      able to do that stuff.My parents for example have an aversion to computers.
                      So I'm like the chief communicator to the relatives for example
                      I have always loved gadgets & tech toys! and when you live by yourself and want your computer to do certain things, you pretty much have to learn how to do it yourself. Of course, I've had some good teachers over the years too - my brother for example. But he's not much fun - he scolds me all the time when I buy a new gadget. But, he also comes through with cool stuff that saves me $$$. He just gave me a brand new external HD enclosure for my hard drive from the old computer that thankfully still is working. When CompUSA set up the new computer, they were supposed to copy over all my files - well, they did but didn't put them in the same places. I had all the files for 4 websites that I built with hundreds of files that were scattered all over the new hard drive. Luckily, now I just retrieved the folders from the old drive and voila - back in business! Whew - what a relief that was.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

beware of when its transmitting. theres this infamous incident when an online guy i knew forgot it was on and was seen ______________(adverb) his ________ (misc. body part)
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

yeah - well, I did know about that aspect of webcams. Hopefully, I will never have mine on at an embarassing time Mine does have a "cap" that comes down over the lense - but I have to remember to put it in place.
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                          X