Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular wireless camera system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular wireless camera system?

With my cell phones, two way radios, wifi internet, and cordless phones, I'm now looking to get a wireless camera system for some protection.

Who has experience with these? Any particular model or features I should go with? Who should I see to get the best selection on the island?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular wireless camera system?

I used the Dlink 1000W before and would not recommend this. I wanted to monitor my house from the web and wanted it to be wireless. I was able to view it over the web, but the framerate was awful. Something like 1 frame per second. I see at Costco the Q-See system with 4 cameras and dvr. I can't remember if it's wired or wireless. You can also hook it up to be viewed from the web as well. About $1k for the system. When I went to Fry's on the mainland, they carried a bunch of Q-See accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      Any particular model or features I should go with? Who should I see to get the best selection on the island?
      Well, first of all, buy online. For relatively newer tech, any local store, big box or independent, always seems a generation behind and several dollars out of line.

As for what model and what features? Depends on how much you're willing to spend. The ones I like the most cost the most. They have built-in webservers (so can function independent of a computer), are completely wireless (requiring only power), and feature remote control (from anywhere via IP you can pan and zoom).

Caveats? A lot of these require ActiveX controls (and thus are usable only via Internet Explorer), some actually require registration or management via a third party site (definitely steer clear), and some support only basic encryption and security (i.e. WEP but not WPA).

Despite some of the above limitations, it looks like this Panasonic model is rated well, superior to Linksys' offering, at least. Of course, it's also $279!

Comment

Out of the Lowes, Home Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack stores I visited this morning, only Radioshack had some models, but its $135 for one camera. However, if I wanted to add a second camera, then I'd have to go online to the company's website and order it from there.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

That costco one seems like a great deal, but they havent had it in some time.
          You can also build one yourself, all you need is the pci card, software, and the ccd cameras.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I've used the Linksys one, the smaller one and I'm not all that impressed. Only supports WEP. Email triggers seem inconsistent unless you've got something monitoring the camera. Tends to have a lot of false triggers due to lighting level changes. Tech support seems to be more like "helpless" support based in India. Next one I'd try would be a Panasonic. But I'm not sure which model.
            Last edited by GeckoGeek; September 16, 2006, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X