DVD to iPod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD to iPod?

I burned 4 short home movies from VHS to one DVD. I'd now like to put one of the movies on my iPod; not all of them. What's the easiest, untechie tutu way to do this?
    Mac Powerbook
    OS 10.4.7

TIA

Re: DVD to iPod?

You can use the free program, Instant Handbrake. (Available here.)

It lets you rip the DVD directly to the iPod's format, or to the PSP.

Software still in beta, so it may not be perfect.

Comment

I'm 42.5% thru converting!!! So far, so good. This app appears very similar and just as easy as TubeSock, which rips videos from YouTube to an iPod! Thanks so much, Paul. I'll update once I view the videos on my iPod 'cuz there's still time for me to mess things up!

Comment

I downloaded the app when I saw this thread and tried it with Lilo and Stitch (hehe) .. no problems at all. Plays great on the iPod. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Aaaaaaaaack! IT WORKED! This is just way too cool! Thanks again, Paul.

A question, tho'. I chose the file format iPod 5G (H.264). The converted files were saved to the Movies folder on my hard drive as .mp4. I dragged and dropped them into the iTunes library and renamed them. Is there any other use for the mp4s residing on my hard drive? Can they be burned to a CD or DVD and played on any computer or DVD player? Or should they just be trashed 'cuz they're already in iTunes?

Repeat after me..."Untechie Tutu. Untechie Tutu"!

Comment

I'm on a roll now! I've ripped and added to my iPod Jake Shimabukuro on Conan O'Brien and my dad as a kid in an episode of 'Our Gang'!!! I'm easily amused! Then, again, I'm workin' hard packing up my living room and clearing it out in anticipation of phase 1 of my condo remodel beginning Tues. morning.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
              Aaaaaaaaack! IT WORKED! This is just way too cool! Thanks again, Paul.

A question, tho'. I chose the file format iPod 5G (H.264). The converted files were saved to the Movies folder on my hard drive as .mp4. I dragged and dropped them into the iTunes library and renamed them. Is there any other use for the mp4s residing on my hard drive? Can they be burned to a CD or DVD and played on any computer or DVD player? Or should they just be trashed 'cuz they're already in iTunes?
              The mp4 files are will play back in ITunes on someone else's computer if they were burned to CD or DVD. They will not play back on a regular DVD player though.

Comment

Thanks tvguy! My kids have iTunes so I'll burn the home movies to DVDs for them.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Thanks tvguy! My kids have iTunes so I'll burn the home movies to DVDs for them.
                  tutusue... just remember that when you "BURN" DVD's.... those DVD's will only last about 5 - 10 years.
                  http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/caref...dlingGuide.pdf

(it's not like they are pressed)

Many people think that if they are saving old home movies to DVD that they will be good for ever and then throw out the actual tape footage.... then that footage is lost for ever in 10 years when the "Burnt DVD" is no longer useable.

Comment

Thanks, Manoa. I remember your initial thread on the subject of disk longevity. I'd be surprised if technology even allowed playing DVDs in 5-10 years! Built in obsolescence...that's how those technology companies make so much moolah!!! Regardless, I have everything important stored on the initial media on which it was recorded, on DVD and on 2 external hard drives. Only the family stuff is important enough to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X