Instant Messaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Messaging

We've talked sporadically about instant messaging -- certain platforms and clients like AIM or VOIP tools like Skype and the like -- but haven't dove into IMs overall as far as I can tell. (Oops. There was this thread earlier this summer. But let's do a poll, now, too!) And I mean instant messaging in the traditional sense, rather than SMS or mobile phone-specific channels, although some phones now support "classic" IM systems, and of course most IM systems support voice and video.

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)? MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger)? Yahoo! Messenger? Google Talk/Chat? Skype or Gizmo? iChat? ICQ? Any internal corporate systems like Lotus or Novell? Or extendable systems like Jabber?

Of course, there are several chat systems, and chances are, you use more than one to keep up with all your friends. Which do you use, and prefer, and why? Is it advanced features, or just the number of contacts you keep in touch with? Do you keep it simple, or do you use the whole toolbox some systems offer, like video, file transfers, co-browsing, music streaming, and the like?

I'm only sporadically logged into IM, but when I do, I like to use a multi-platform client to handle several systems without requiring me to run different programs. On a Mac, that's something like AdiumX. On the PC, that can be Trillian, Gaim, and Miranda.
    AOL Instant Messenger (AIM).
    25.00%
    MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger.
    17.65%
    Yahoo! Messenger.
    14.71%
    Skype (or Gizmo or other free VoIP systems).
    5.88%
    Google Talk/GMail Chat.
    11.76%
    ICQ.
    7.35%
    iChat (OSX).
    4.41%
    Closed/Corporate (Novell/Lotus/Microsoft).
    2.94%
    Other.
    10.29%

Re: Instant Messaging

Where's the check box for...none?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      I think its best for me not to comment
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

I use Trillian basic for AIM, but since a customer asked about skype, I decided to try it out (now I just need a mic and headset).
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Trillian is my IM program of choice-uses multi platforms and is easy to use...
          Did use it pretty frequently until all of my friends started logging onto the computers at totally different times
          Hawaii my love, I will see you soon

Comment

Anyone on OSX, check out Adium. Great piece of work.

Comment

I have Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. I'm still using slightly older versions. As I didn't like the bloat of the newer versions.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

HA! I didn't knwo what I used until this poll. I always used it and didn't look. Live Messenger it says. I only talk to 2 people on it.
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Make mine vote #2.

Comment

My chat usage isn't that much, almost to the point of selecting "None of the above" if such an option existed but I ended up picking "Other" since I have no idea what the HawaiiStories chat uses.

Comment

I sometimes use Gmail's chat because it's already available and integrated into Gmail. Separate IM clients are too much of a hassle.

Comment

I need to poke around in gmail some more, but is there some way to be "available" to chat with one or a few people but not everyone on your chat list? Sometimes I don't mind being tagged to chat by several people at once, sometimes I just need to talk to one person.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                          I need to poke around in gmail some more, but is there some way to be "available" to chat with one or a few people but not everyone on your chat list? Sometimes I don't mind being tagged to chat by several people at once, sometimes I just need to talk to one person.
                          Here's the Gmail help topic for that:
                          How does Gmail decide who can automatically chat with me and see my availability?

If there are other Gmail users whom you frequently email, you'll be able to chat and see each other online without having to send an invitation.

Gmail automatically determines which contacts you'll be able to talk to without having to invite each other -- if you don't want Gmail to automatically enable chat privileges with your contacts, follow these steps:

1. Log in to your Gmail account.
                          2. Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page.
                          3. Open the Chat tab, and select Only allow people that I've explicitly approved to chat with me and see when I'm online.
                          4. Click Save Changes.

Want to manage who can and can't chat with you? Learn how to block a contact from chatting with you.

Comment

AIM and Yahoo normally, or two kill two birds with one stone, Trillian (basic). Some Yahoo features don't work too well through Trillian so I usually sign on to Yahoo seperately when I need to.
                            myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I currently use Trillian and Xfire, most of my contacts are on ICQ. Now if Trillian would support xfire and whatever else, I'd be set.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X