Theftproof cell phones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theftproof cell phones?

According to this report from CBS News, a British company is now selling subscriptions to a service that will keep a stolen cell phone from being used by a criminal.

All the owner of the phone has to do is send an alert to that phone from another phone and once activated, the phone will emit a continuous, loud noise that sounds very much like a human scream. The screaming continues until the thief removes the battery, which then renders the phone completely inoperable. Even replacing the battery or SIM card will not get it to work again.

As soon as the alert is sent by the rightful owner, the phone’s memory is wiped clean of numbers and all other data. Even replacing the memory, or SIM card, inside won’t bring it back to life.
    I can imagine that if the service ever makes it across the pond to the US, that the scream will be replaced by a few chosen expletives shouted over and over and over and over and over...

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Theftproof cell phones?

Oh man!!! I seriously love this idea!! Whoever thought of it is my hero!!!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Us phone experts can and will make that phone operatable in no time. *evil smile* Plus, if the files are on a server, then that too can be cracked/hacked/blown to bits.

Plus, what's so hard about keeping tabs on your phone? I know I wouldn't pay the $20/month for that.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
        Us phone experts can and will make that phone operatable in no time. *evil smile* Plus, if the files are on a server, then that too can be cracked/hacked/blown to bits.

Plus, what's so hard about keeping tabs on your phone? I know I wouldn't pay the $20/month for that.
        Really? they can just get it working?? that's lame.
        I have never ever lost my phone and I have had a cell for 6 years.
        If it's 20.00 a month it isn't worth it.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
          Really? they can just get it working?? that's lame.
          I have never ever lost my phone and I have had a cell for 6 years.
          If it's 20.00 a month it isn't worth it.
          We phone modders can recover a phone that can't turn on, so the same principle applies to a phone that had its files erased. However, so far I know that it will apply to some phones (specifically Motorola AFAIK) but I assume there's a similar principle for other phone manufacturers.

But then again, I will never use my powers for evil.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

some phones already have that feature built in for free...

my Nokia E61 can be setup to receive a 'special' text message that will lock the phone

good and bad.. what if a nice person finds your phone and wants to call you or someone on your contacts to let you know they found it?
            website - http://www.brianhancock.com
            blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

From what I've heard it lame and too expensive. You really would have to have value the security aspects to pay that much for it.

I know if a phone next to me started screaming, it'd find a new home in the nearest body of water right quick. Either that or it would experience extremely rapid disassembly.

If I was in a really, really good mood, it would become separated from it's battery pack. Which brings me to something else. If you were intent on stealing a phone, all you'd have to do is remove the battery pack before the owner could report it. Go to an area with no signal (or build a Faraday cage) and then do whatever it is you do to stolen phones.

Comment

Working...
              X