No announcement yet.

Time Warner takes over Comcast...UGH!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Warner takes over Comcast...UGH!!!

Now I have to change my email adresses....Just because of some friggin corporate takeover, I have to spend probably at least a few days changing my email address on all my ebay, websites, message board, amazon etc and everyone else who has my email address....

So annoying....Their "we apologize for the inconvenience" line doesn't give me back the hours I lose doing all this, or make me feel better

Anyone else go thru this ?
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Re: Time Warner takes over Comcast...UGH!!!

This happened locally, too, when Carlyle Group bought the wireline business of Verizon ... and named it Hawaiian Telcom. Everybody with a gte.net email address had to change over, and it wasn't pretty. I'm sure there's a thread about it.

Being a roadrunner customer who doesn't even use the hawaii.rr.com e-mail address that comes with the account, it didn't affect me.

If you want a Google g-mail address, (free) which enables you to check your e-mail from any computer anywhere, pm me. You'll still have to change over your e-mail addresses, but you won't be a the mercy of any foreseeable corporate takeovers anymore.
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Thanx Erika, Is G Mail similar to the email that Yahoo offers for free ?

I'm considering one of the free email servers, like hotmail or one of the others as I don't want to have to go thru this again. If it's ME moving, as I have in the past, I don't mind, but when this type of thing happens it p*sses me off.

I'm also considering a .mac account but you have to pay alot of money to have moe than one address...kinda lame.

Comment

Gmail is a great, free account. PZ sent me one about 2 years ago, and I use that and Yahoo for most of my email. I have a lava.net account that I keep locked up and accessible to just a few people.

While I am an avid Mac user, I never bought into .mac since its predecessor on the same server was free for several years. However Apple got greedy and I said "adios" to that one shorlty after it went to the pay route.

.Mac does offer more than email, but I think Google has more offerings than Apple now, and most if not all are free. Google lets you store up to 2 gigs on their server. Nice.

As for Yahoo, it's free and one of the first web emails I got. It gets a bit annoying at Yahoo when some of their advertising goes overboard with drop down flash banners and overly animated ads. Still in order to remain competitive with Google, they had to up their ante of free email space to 1 gig.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

If you'd rather download and read your email in a specific application, rather than on the web, I use a mail forwarding service...pobox.com. It's a paid service, $20./year...and I've used it for the 11 years I've been online. Love it! During that time I've changed my ISP 4 times but needed to notify only one entity (pobox), not everyone in my address book or all of the web sites I use. Just an addition to your list of options!

Comment

The only catch is you need to be "invited" to get a Gmail account.
            But you may be lucky and have a friend who can "invite" you.
            I have a 96 invitations left, so if you'd like to go that route, let me know.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

And you know how you can increase that invitation count? Invite yourself and open another Gmail account. :-) So I have nearly 200 invitations.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                If you'd rather download and read your email in a specific application, rather than on the web, ...
                GMail will do that too. I've got a GMail account I use from Outlook. GMail's also got a very good spam filter. I used to be on a Verizon.net email but when they sold out I was in exactly the same situation. Also, I didn't like the fact that my email would advertise where I lived. Sometimes I like to keep that quiet. So my solution was to switch to GMail.

Comment

Update....

I ound out that I even tho I have to change my email address, the messages sent to my old one will forward to my new one automatically for a year...so that's not SO bad.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    Update....

I ound out that I even tho I have to change my email address, the messages sent to my old one will forward to my new one automatically for a year...so that's not SO bad.
                    Well, that's better then the 30 days we were told for the Verizon to HT transition (although I think they are still forwarding). But now you need to do a search to see who's still sending to your old box.

Comment

Working...
                    X