Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songbird - possible open-source iTunes replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songbird - possible open-source iTunes replacement?

I just stumbled across Songbird, which is still in development but about which people are saying promising things. Has anyone tried it?

Re: Songbird - possible open-source iTunes replacement?

Please please please iTunes is getting so much more bloated and slow with every release, unlike everything else Apple releases...

I saw this a while back on Slashdot, might have to actually give it a download. I'll post back here if I do.

Comment

Songbird's still under development -- it's up to version 0.2.5 now. Their icon for cross-platform support is priceless.

The penguin, he needs some lovin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        Songbird's still under development -- it's up to version 0.2.5 now. Their icon for cross-platform support is priceless.

The penguin, he needs some lovin'.
        Oh god. If its what I think its doing, then...

HT is ruined for me!
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Songbird is now up to beta 0.7.0. Available for Windows / Linux / Mac OS.

Has anybody tried it yet? I have to admit that I am leery of entrusting my entire music library to pre-1.0 software.

Comment

The issue is that IPods are restricted to use with Itunes. So no matter how good another program might be, if people want Ipods then they'll have to stick with Itunes.

Luckily, IPods kick ass.
            The visible universe is a sphere with a diameter of about 92 billion light-years.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."
            - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by mwanafalsafa View Post
              The issue is that IPods are restricted to use with Itunes. So no matter how good another program might be, if people want Ipods then they'll have to stick with Itunes.
              There are dozes of programs out there that can add songs to an iPod, create playlists, blah, blah, blah. You don't have to use iTunes if you don't want to.

Comment

Songbird 1.0 is now out. Time to see how well this bird sings.

Comment

I love that there's Songbird out there, and glad for the 1.0 release. I think I'd just read, though, that Apple did some tweaks to its FairPlay/QuickTime system to make it more difficult for Songbird to do it's DRM hack.

Sadly, I gave in to iTunes a long time ago, and it owns and holds pretty much all my media.

Comment

Please do let us know what you think, Glen.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's funny how these cross platform apps seem to support older versions of Windows but not a version of Mac OSX older than 10.5. Not everyone has the latest and greatest.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                      X