Windows Media Player question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Player question

I have WMP v. 9 installed on my Mac. Files containing a .wmv play just fine. However, when I want to view a video on the web I often get this message:

"No media player is installed. Click on one of the links below to install a media player.
    Windows Media Player
    Not Installed
    Download Free Player"
    (The other link option is Real Media Player.)

Why is this happening? Untechie tutus around the world need to know!

Re: Windows Media Player question

Unfortunately Windows Media Player cannot play video by itself, it needs a third party video product like PowerDVD or InVideo and others to install the video codecs. Must be an anti-trust thing against Microsoft. You can download a ton of them for free just do a google search.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is this the Windows Media Player for Mac you're using?

Actually, while Windows stopped directly supporting Macs in its Windows Media development, they partnered with one of the leading third-party tools to keep Mac users in the fold instead. So you can download Flip4Mac for Quicktime from Microsoft for free and easily play Windows Media content -- provided you're using OS X version 10.3.9 and QuickTime 6.5 or later.

Comment

Thanks for the info and especially the link. Flip4Mac worked!

Comment

I believe there's also an update for Mac users at Microsoft.com regarding using Quicktime under Media Player. I saw it while upgrading an MS XP OS.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
          X