Old Fart Game System Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fart Game System Advice?

I know everyone's abuzz about the PS3 and Wii and who knows what else is coming down the pipeline. That's not what I'm curious about. The "early adopter" in me can certainly appreciate wanting the latest and greatest, but when it comes to game systems? I've never really been much into the scene.

Let's put it this way. The last game system I actually bought for myself was the original Nintendo home console. You know, with the black and red controllers and the toast-sized cartridges? Then I inherited a Super Nintendo, on which I only played "Donkey Kong Country" a few times.

So, I'm interested in a system, but not The Next Best Thing. I'm looking for something basic, well established, with a good selection of games... and obsolescence is only a minor consideration.

And the kinds of games I'm interested in? Not the latest and greatest first-person shooter. Not Halo 2 or whatever. We're more into puzzle games, weird games, arcade games. General strategy and brain games. More Tetris, less Madden 2006. I have a soft spot for driving games, but other than that, think Katamari Damacy, Pikmin, Loco Roco. Games that are said to "break the mold," games that are quirky, that win on whimsy rather than firepower.

So, if you wanted to play this kind of stuff, what game system would you get?

Re: Old Fart Game System Advice?

Nintendo is your friend. Get the GameCube, which can be had for cheap now (I just bought mine last May), whose flagship games are right up your alley (MarioKart!). If a handheld is more your style, the DS and DS Lite are wonderful (Nintendogs!).
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Does this mean you already have a PSP or DS? It doesnt sound like theres many options for you in consoles. Theres tons of games for the pc, youve found them all over the web. pogo, iiji, popcap, even newgrounds offer a variety of games for free.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I love my original NINTENDO! and the games. and my 64 and Super Nintendo...I still play them!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I can totally relate to all of you. I bought online a replacement pin, took apart my 8-Bit Nintendo, and now it plays cartridges again without any of the whole blow into the cartridge-put it in at just the right angle stuff. One game stays in my system permanently--Dr. Mario. I've recently gotten my boyfriend addicted. We play that thing for hours sometimes!

Comment

Another original Nintendo fan here! Heck I still have my brother's system.

You're perfect for Nintendo. From the DS's touch screen to Gamecube's simple gameplay and don't forget about Wii's easily to learn wii-mote. However, if I had to choose, then I'd definately get the Wii, as its the "most different" from the three next gen consoles.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

You're not a true Nintendo game fan unless you still adore "Bubble Bobble"
              You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

I like to play Console games every now and then, and frankly I don't know which system to get.

Red Steel for Wii looks awesome, and I'd probably buy Zelda as well if I ever got the Wii.

PS3 on the other hand, has White Knight and Metal Gear Solid 4.

I was hoping that Square Enix would announce which console they'd be hooking up to, but so far, they're just making silly cryptic statements. Square Enix's choice in consoles will be my tie breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
                  I HAVE it! and about 113 games! and 2 systems...I am a closet geek. I LOVE Bubble Bobble and paid way too much for it! How about WordTris?? I had to search for that one! Took me 6 weeks to find it!

Comment

I was a BIG fan of SuperMarioBros on the original Nintendo. My high point as a gamer came when SMB 3 came out, whoa nelly the house coulda burned down around me and I wouldn't have cared...

a couple of years back there was this little kiosk where I got some Made-in-Malaysia thinga bob that had all of these old skool games atop the cheapo console, and all we had to do was plug the white and yellow cords into the tv and it was good to go. No load- up, and all the low-res 32dpi action we all know and love.

Of course, being the high quality thinga bob that it was, we (ok, I) broke it. If I can find another such bob I will surely purchase it.

pax

Comment

I enjoy reminiscing as much as anyone (I had an Atari 2400, I made a pretty penny selling the "banned" Tengen Tetris for the original Nintendo, yada yada yada), but I'm specifically asking about a game system I could buy today that isn't entirely obsolete and has a decent selection of puzzle, strategy, and non-traditional games (i.e. logic or weird, not shoot 'em all to hell).

And yeah, there are a lot of such games for PCs, but not Macs. And again, I'm specifically asking about a console system (though I have seen some Nintendo DS stuff that's pretty neat).

Scriv, tell me more about the GameCube. A better choice than the Playstation 2? Or the Xbox? That's been out for five years now, right?

Basically, if the system has a range of games from "E"-rated kids stuff (simple puzzles) to strategy and arcade stuff (Tetris), to weird stuff (Katamari) and even just one decent car racing game, I'd be happy.

Comment

I am big on the DS I bought it specifically because I like the puzzle and word games. Thats also why i bought my GameCube, the kids have a playstationand all that but for my adult puzzle needs I stick with the Nintendo stuff.
                        I would suggest going to this website and looking at all the available games for teh GameCube, that is what I did before I bought one.

http://gamecube.gamezone.com/gamesell/pro0000.htm

I figured out which system had more games I liked.

Comment

If you have friends over to play games, the gamecube is the way to go...can't beat the built-in 4 controller ports. Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart is hoooot on the gamecube.

If you're gonna be playin sports games online or RPGs, get the PS2

True NES heads would cop a working control deck just to play Tecmo Bowl.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Kory K View Post
                            Oh, don't worry, I still have that game too. I don't play it as often, but it comes out every once in a while!

Comment

I'm really excited about the Wii. The new controller looks awsome and I really hope it lives up to the hype. I still have my 64 and my cube but I hardly game anymore. I used to be an avid gamer but I just woke up oneday and realized it was a waste of time. Which is a some what ironic statement since for some reason out of the blue last week I decided I was going to play Metroid Prime, and actually beat it this time. I know it's a waste but i can't help it :P
                              808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                              kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                              http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Working...
                              X