Sony PlayStation 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony PlayStation 3

Anybody just salivating at the thought of getting a new Sony PlayStation 3 on Nov. 17 when it's supposed to be launched in the US, might want to wait awhile.

The console, which sold out immediately when launched in Japan last week, is reported to have a bug which makes some older PS games unable to function properly. The company claims it's not a bug and was a known problem.

Used to be a time when Japanese manufacturers had world class quality assurance practices. Now Sony has had its eye blackened again after the lithium laptop battery debacle, which will only add to its financial woes. That's what they get for trying to imitate US product launch strategies!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New Sony PS3 unable to play some old games

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    The console, which sold out immediately when launched in Japan last week, is reported to have a bug which makes some older PS games unable to function properly. The company claims it's not a bug and was a known problem.

Used to be a time when Japanese manufacturers had world class quality assurance practices. Now Sony has had its eye blackened again after the lithium laptop battery debacle, which will only add to its financial woes. That's what they get for trying to imitate US product launch strategies!

Miulang
    But it's only around 200 PS1 and PS2 games out of over 6000 which have problems. That's a pretty good batting average, and it may well get better with future revisions of the PS3 operating system. It's much better than MS did with the Xbox360 playing old Xbox games. Now if you want some real black eyes, consider that the PS3 controller will not rumble (vibrate) like the PS2 controller and that the PS3 rechargeable battery can't be replaced -- when it fails, that's $50 for a new controller.

It seems likely that the Nintendo Wii (due out two days after the PS3) will be able to play 100% of old Gamecube games. So, for backwards compatibility, Nintendo wins, Sony in second place, Microsoft in last place.
    Greg

Comment

I always liked Mario better than Sonic anyhow.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that the Wii will have some problems too. It's the nature of the beast. If you want to play playstation 2 games, get a playstation 2. At least that's my take on it. I've never really played a lot of older games on the new consoles.

I can't wait for the Wii myself. I think it's going to be the most fun of the bunch. I'll get a Ps3 some time next year because I think it'll be the best between the xbox and ps3. the choice to include a harddrive almost assures that by itself, and seeing games already on the way that use the space allowed by blu-ray means that that will really matter in the long run.

Next year will be a great year for console gamers no matter what your poison. I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Well, atleast Sony is catching the problems (well, those problems delayed the console), unlike Microsoft's x360.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

So the hype for the PS3 has already gone insane. Here's an article about someone being shot while standing in line for one. And this ebay link shows that someone paid $4350 for one. $4350? Holy crap. There aren't even many games available at launch and someone's paying over 4000 for one? Anyone here get one yet? No one here was the $4350 bidder on ebay, were they?

I just saw an ad for the Wii and it looks pretty sick. I think I might eye that instead. I really wanna play Metroid anyways; haven't played that in years.

Comment

Re: Sony PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 mania hits Hawaii
              They didn't look pretty. They certainly didn't smell pretty (you try sitting in a Wal-Mart parking lot for 36 sleepless, showerless hours!). But as Elliot Riot and his cadre of Kailua neighborhood pals know, pretty doesn't get you a factory-fresh 60-gig PlayStation 3.
              The Ke'eaumoku WalMart got 18 units, Circuit City got 26, meaning that most of the hundreds of people that ended up in line at various stores across the state walked away empty-handed.

Comment

I saw one close at $5k yesterday, i heard one went for $10k. Some asshat was going around putting in bogus $15k bids too.
                Besides people being robbed, there was also a doctor that hired 60 temps to stand in line. A gamestop was held up for 4 PS3's. Walmart put out 15 chairs and told a crowd "GO!".... guess what happened?
                I think I'll wait til I can see how good the systems are, and quality of games. The Wii controller is interesting, but will it get old after a while?

So some ps2 games are incompatible, the xbox 360 is also backwards compatible, but alot of games were not working on launch.
                Halo2, check.
                Barbie's Horse Adverture, check.
                Mechwarrior, negative.
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  PlayStation 3 mania hits Hawaii
                  The Ke'eaumoku WalMart got 18 units, Circuit City got 26, meaning that most of the hundreds of people that ended up in line at various stores across the state walked away empty-handed.
                  I heard Best Buy got 25, Compusa 2, Sam's Club 2. Compusa had the most bogus plot - to qualify for a PS3 reserve you had to buy a 40'+ Bravia.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I like the new game systems but I don't see what the crazy rush is for. In another 4 months, Sony plans to have the PS3 out there in availability like anything else. $4000 for bragging rights to be the first on the block to have one? Man, that wow factor wears off like in a day or two. I suspect the $10k/$15k bid to be fakes. And I'm just waiting for the next news articles about who's gonna get scammed paying big bucks for a PS3 box or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                      I always liked Mario better than Sonic anyhow.
                      Racist!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I like the new game systems but I don't see what the crazy rush is for. In another 4 months, Sony plans to have the PS3 out there in availability like anything else. $4000 for bragging rights to be the first on the block to have one? Man, that wow factor wears off like in a day or two. I suspect the $10k/$15k bid to be fakes. And I'm just waiting for the next news articles about who's gonna get scammed paying big bucks for a PS3 box or something like that.
                        I can wait til it comes out on the shelves of the Salvation Army for around a dollar.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          I can wait til it comes out on the shelves of the Salvation Army for around a dollar.
                          Not to sound too morbid, but you'll be dead by the time that happens...

Comment

I am getting one for sure but will probably wait a little while before going nuts over it.

The reason is that I really recall when the PS2 was released, I rushed out, ordered one and bought like 5-6 of the release games. Other than Tekken, they weren't that impressive. It took a while for the games to catch up to the potential of the console.

Same thing happens with the 360. The games aren't that impressive. I do like the medal of honor 1st person shooter but a few of the other games I bought were played once and sit on the shelf.

I'll probably wait a few months. Maybe break down around Christmas but are there really any compelling games for the release?

Comment

PS3 Get! will happen after the first price drop easily. PS2 definitely hit its stride towards the middle and end at the run the console pretty much realized its full potential, and it looks like the same will happen for the PS3. It's also why I'm waiting. The PS2 launch was known for being weak, PS3 launch is also weak to me. I got my PS2 awhile after launch and I've loved it. The huge library/BC was also a plus, and I love my gems like Katamari and Klonoa. Nintendo's launch this year has a lot of franchises that I like, so it's not a problem for me. And as far as bugs go, never suffered that problem with Nintendo, so it's another push towards getting the Wii. For BC, yeah, sucks about some of the sound glitches and some of the games not even running, but that's easily fixed through online firmware updates. I really love that Sony is releasing a memory card adapter so you can transfer your PS1/PS2 game saves to the PS3 virtual memory, though.

BC is a good thing for me, I can't have 3 Playstations in my house if I want to go relive older titles. If they can do BC with the software and hardware, then I'll take advantage of it. My PS1 got screwed over because we had it modded to play imports, but after awhile, new PS1 games wouldn't work. Luckily all the games that don't work there DO work on my PS2, so my ass got saved right there. One of the main reasons I bought a 360 is because I wanted to play the new games, and because I never owned an Xbox of my own. So if I could kill two birds with one stone, then I would consider that a great deal. And currently most of the Xbox games I really wanted to play are still not compatible. Yeah, I buy new consoles to play new games, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't want to be able to play my old games, either.

The Wii is a somewhat different case. Since I still have all the older consoles and cartridges (parents don't want me to sell them, but I don't want to sell them either), I'm not too worried about playing older titles on the Virtual Console, that will be more of a bonus than anything to play games for systems like Turbo Grafx. It's kind of a hassle to have to switch out consoles all the time. With the Playstation it has become more of a necessity for me to be able to play the past library's games. Sony has done a decent job with BC in the past so it should be fine.

Anyway, I'll be out at Best Buy tomorrow waiting for my Wii. Probably not too early but something tells me I probably should. I'm definitely not going to sleep out there though
                              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Working...
                              X