Basic MP3 Player for Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic MP3 Player for Kids?

So I know this is sort of off subject...but does anyone know anything about mp3 players? I find myself in a quandry. I need to buy 3 for my kids and I want to get the USB type I think. BUt do they all take cards? I just want a basic cheap player that I can put all their CD's on so I don't have to listen to them anymore! HELP
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Re: Lets talk about Microsoft's Zune!

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
    So I know this is sort of off subject...but does anyone know anything about mp3 players? I find myself in a quandary. I need to buy 3 for my kids and I want to get the USB type I think. But do they all take cards? I just want a basic cheap player that I can put all their CDs on so I don't have to listen to them anymore! HELP
    The ones made by Sandisk can be upgraded by using memory cards, but mostly you'll find the ones with its own built in-non upgradeable memory.

Basically the "cheap ones" you find at Walmart will be good for kids.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Basic MP3 Player for Kids?

If you can find one that will take a memory card, that may be the best way to go. Then you can buy a larger card to hold more. A small card may not hold enough for them to use it. Loading memory cards is not that hard, but it's a royal pain compared to changing a CD. Depending on their library, you may find that it would be too expensive to put "all their CDs" on it.

Maybe you'd be best off buying them Walkman style CD players?

Comment

Yeah; depending on the kid, "all their CDs" could be an awful lot.

Also, I'd be cautious of letting kids start wearing headphones at a young age. They're liable to crank up the volume so high that they could end up prematurely hard of hearing.

Comment

Also, some of the new CD players can play MP3. 600MB of MP3 is a lot of music! That should keep them happy. And they can changing it anytime they want without having to kick you off the computer.

Good point about kids and headphones.

Comment

I think I am going to get the Cd players because I found them for 10.00. They are young but always want me to play music. I don't like listening to The Wiggles for 3 hours..!

I figure if they break the Cd Player it won't kill me. But a 30.00 Stick might bother me a bit!

Thanks for the help

Comment

Oh, and if you can, try and get the iPod shuffle. a) atleast its an "ipod" and they'll appreciate you more b) there's nothing to scratch and they can drop it and not break it.

I think I saw the 512mb version sell for about $50 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And MP3 CD players are a good choice because they can just load discs full of their favorite songs and swamp it out if they want more music.

Then again, I still say kids nowadays are getting spoiled. PS3s, MP3 players, laptops, high speed internet... all I got when I was little was Power Ranger toys, a learning device, and clothes.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Maybe the 11 year old would appreciate the 512. and the others the CD player.
                I know kids are spoiled! Mine included.
                But only this and a gameboy game this year...nothing else!

Comment

I posted a link to apple's refurb sale. $30 for a 512 shuttle. its in the tech section i think.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                    I posted a link to apple's refurb sale. $30 for a 512 shuttle. its in the tech section i think.
                    That's what gave me the idea to begin with!

Comment

Blu...my 9 yo grandson has an iPod shuffle and loves it. He got it for his 8th birthday. I was worried that he'd lose it. So far, so good! Depending on how much music your children have a 512mb shuffle is still less memory than one CD. An iPod shuffle is cool. A CD player is practical.

Comment

I think you are right the CD player is way more practical!

Comment

there was a blog about the nano when it first came out. some guy did all these tests like dropping it from 2 ft, 4 ft, dropping it off a moving bike, car, it finally died when he threw it up 40 feet up into the air. he even ran it over with a car. the screen cracked but it still worked, if i recall correctly.
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            Depending on how much music your children have a 512mb shuffle is still less memory than one CD.
                            Uh, if you're talking about a CD of MP3 files, you'd be correct. But not a CD from the store. I saw a 128MB player at DJ and it said it could store up to 60 songs. (Not sure at what quality level.)

Comment

Working...
                            X