Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm all a Twitter!

I'm all in!

I have discovered Twitter and I'm having a ball! Getting my friends all Twittered too! It sounds crazy 'til you try it!

http://twitter.com/Richfuel
    Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

I just signed up on twitter. My username looks like a Hawaiian bracelet as it is onelongwordwithoutanydiacriticals. www.twitter.com/puaimanao

I did, howevah, find a really gorgeous pic of Marlene Dietrich (my fave of that era).

I cannot figure out how to msg anyone, though.
      Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; November 21, 2007, 12:28 PM.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        I just signed up on twitter.

heheheh

I am following you.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          I just signed up on twitter. My username looks like a Hawaiian bracelet as it is onelongwordwithoutanydiacriticals. www.twitter.com/puaimanao

I did, howevah, find a really gorgeous pic of Marlene Dietrich (my fave of that era).

You can message randomly and whomever is following you will read it as well as the public if you haven't restricted your account.

You use @ and the exact spelling of the person's user name with no space, @puaimanao and the message will now also appear in the REPLIES tab. Careful, some have different user names than on HT and in real life. I do recall a certain twitter to @ryan intending to go to PZ, but on twitter he's @hawaii.

If someone mutually follows you, you will then be allowed to MESSAGE them. Go to their profile, find the MESSAGE button and click, type, send. This is called a DIRECT MESSAGE, DM and will appear only to the person it's intended for. You need to click on DIRECT to read your messages.

In SETTINGS you can set-up your mobile phone to twitter from while away from your comp or laptop.

In your mobile phone, you can also TRACK PUAIMANAO and you'll receive SMS messages while on the go.

And that's the basics.

Welcome to twitter. It's a whole lot of fun, and full of interesting information if you follow the right people.

ALOHA.
          NEENZ.
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

thanks Neenz! Still figuring it out. The limited text allowed is soooo limiting.

pax

Comment

I find it weirdly liberating, and at least provocative. I'm usually so overly verbose, working with a 140 character limit to express something stretches my brain cells nicely. I especially enjoy when I can string together a few natural phrases that come out to exactly 140 characters.

With all the HT folks on Twitter, it's hilarious to see all the chatter about Mitchell's trivia contest.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                With all the HT folks on Twitter, it's hilarious to see all the chatter about Mitchell's trivia contest.
                Sorry about that. I think it's obnoxious of me.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                  I find it weirdly liberating, and at least provocative. I'm usually so overly verbose, working with a 140 character limit to express something stretches my brain cells nicely. I especially enjoy when I can string together a few natural phrases that come out to exactly 140 characters.

In effort to get that verb/subject agreement goin' on, I could use an upgrade. 217 characters, perhaps?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    Sorry about that. I think it's obnoxious of me.
                    Stop. We love smart people. Just be who you are.

pax

Comment

Lots of organizations planned to use Twitter as a 'liveblogging' platform for the MacWorld keynote by Steve Jobs. Instead, the service went down just as Steve Jobs took the stage. Lots of folks are commenting about the stability and scalability of the site. Right now, it's the only game in town (sites like Pownce and Jaiku just haven't gained a foothold), but considering how simple the basic concept is, it's not hard to imagine Twitter actually having some serious competition soon. Then, all the cutesy "bring that beat back!" error messages in the world won't save 'em from poor planning.

Comment

Have something in mind PZ?

I honest to god do my best to utilize Pownce but it's just not user friendly for me. And, Jaiku is a ghost town of feeds, who the heck is reading 'em! UTTERZ I love, but it's not as quick and easy as Twitter. But if Twitter begins to get cocky, oh the PEAple will go elsewhere that's certain.
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

I wasn't even thinking about Pownce, though it is having a party tonight as it comes out of private beta. It just hasn't sucked me in, even though it has some features Twitter doesn't (including 'payloads' like photos and audio files). I think Jaiku is great, but without an active user base, it's useless.

The thing is, "status updates" are everywhere. Facebook and Myspace for starters, and they have the advantage of a built-in user base. Even Plazes, which is hard to categorize, added "what are you doing" to "where are you" a while back. Which makes me wonder, maybe Twitter succeeds only because it's only Twitter, and because it was the first. Perhaps by the time Twitter has a serious competitor, everyone will have moved on to the next best thing?

There's a lot of room for Twitter to go, though, I'd say focused around its SMS integration and perhaps localization options. (Imagine Tweeting questions to a specific Twitter alias to get answers, directions, etc.) And Dave Winer is pushing them toward "payloads," so it can become (among other things) a RSS podcast channel.

Comment

Putting this in the right place:

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            The next step?

(Not yet available in Hawai`i, but perhaps worth keeping an eye on. Just heard an interview on the radio, in a one-hour program on "The Future of Cell Phones.")

Comment

Signed up for Whrrl for the hell of it, though Honolulu isn't one of its metro areas just yet. (I'm in San Francisco. Whee!) I think mobile devices and localization (using SMS to find friends, review businesses, etc.) is definitely among the "next big things" out there.

Lots of companies are venturing into the space, including Google (which bought, then seems to have abandoned, Dodgeball). There's Loopt (which has an in with Sprint). I like Plazes (which seems to work best in Europe and with Nokia devices, but I'm all over it in Hawaii via iPhone!). There's Imity (which is focused on Bluetooth). There's Socialight (which I've just signed up to try). There's Rummble (which I've never seen before). And Mobiluck and MeetMoi and...

But all of these sites try to do so much. And I think Twitter's success comes from what little it does. Just 140 characters to do whatever you like. Send shout-out to friends, ask questions, express random thoughts, or, yes, to answer the question, "What are you doing?"

Comment

Ever since Dodgeball came out, I've been dying for Hawaii support. But it hasn't come. I think there's some potential there for Twitter to take up that torch.

I haven't checked out any of the other sites. While I think all these social apps are nifty, I don't think I can keep up with them all.

Anyone with the iPhone and on AT&T (I guess this could also be addressed to anyone with a default text msg plan that can upgrade to unlimited), did you spring for the unlimited text messaging? 200/month seems so little and has made me stop using it for stuff, which ends up leaving me out of the loop on many things.

Edited: Wow, I type slow. Whrrl sounds like another Dodgeball... including the limited service areas! :P

Comment

Working...
                                X