I'm all a Twitter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm all a Twitter!

I was reminded of something I wrote in another space. Perhaps this helps, Matapule?

However, aside from getting frequent updates on what people are doing and thinking and eating (which is cool enough if you have the right mindset), there’s something else going on here, and I think it’s worth investigating. I, like several of my Twitter friends, get updates EVERY TIME someone on my list submits a fewer-than-140-character submission. On my cellular phone. This means that when I’m perusing the photography section at Barnes and Noble, I’ll get updates from Donna, Ryan, Blaine, Jen, and even Donna’s friend Shari, whom I’ve never met, spoken to, or otherwise communicated with in my entire life! I go to dinner, I get updates. Even when I’m in bed I get updates because I don’t use the option to automatically turn them off between set hours (Thanks for waking me up waaaaay too early on Thursday, you inconsiderate friends!).

It's a little bit like when you're home with family. You're in one room doing your thing and others are in other rooms doing their things, but every so often you take a glance in the others' direction just to see what they are up to. You might say a few words or you might not, but you've done quick update just with that little glance. You are aware of the other people even if you aren't involved in what they're doing. Twitter's a lot like that, when it's good.

What’s the big deal? In the same way that instant messaging keeps you connected to others while you’re on the computer even if you don’t really chat, these phone updates keep me connected to others whatever I’m doing, and there’s something magical about that. I might not call Jen up every hour or so just to see what she’s up to, but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested. And when she submits a message saying she’s cruising some website or cleaning up after her kid, I think of her for that one moment. That cannot be meaningless.
    Unlike Local Motion, I am more interested in what Ryan's having for lunch or what Neenz is watching on TV than I am in making business contacts or spreading some kind of message. I like Twitter for the same reasons I like HT: it's a community of people I'm interested in. It's not a market. But maybe that's why I'm poor.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Unlike Local Motion, I am more interested in what Ryan's having for lunch or what Neenz is watching on TV than I am in making business contacts or spreading some kind of message. I like Twitter for the same reasons I like HT: it's a community of people I'm interested in. It's not a market. But maybe that's why I'm poor.
      Ah you misunderstood what i meant... so tell me what's more interesting:

-eating a burger
      -watching tv

or

-at Kua 'aina eating a awesome guacamole burger (and possibly adding a pic of it)
      - watching the new episode of "Chuck"

as you can see the latter makes me want to learn more. maybe i'll check out kua 'aina, or see a new tv show called chuck.

That said I am interested in peoples daily lives, it helps discover new places and things, but unless there's some kind of detail, "eating a burger" is pretty useless to me.

That's why i mentioned this. some people think twitter is all about the vague useless tweets i pointed out, when in fact can be so much more.

And the great thing is it doesn't have to be all about business. It can be lots of things. But since i RUN a business I incorporate both business and pleasure/personal stuff. To each his own.
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Re: Twitter?

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Huh oh, matapule...maybe we're caught in a generation gap?!
        No, Tutu, this is not a generation gap, it is Generation X (or Y or Z) just running amuck.

No, Twitter is not for me, email works fine thank you. Texting on a phone? Whats that? Also no Facebook and no camera phone for me. I don't even have a land line phone. As I have already reported a couple of times, I don't even have television service. I can't think of any channels I really like other than the History Channel, Discovery Channel (American Chopper and Overhaulin'), and HGTV. NPR and the Internet work just fine for current events. I am not going to pay $100 per month for cable/telephone/internet service. I put that $100 per month to better service for charitable purposes.

You know, I may be able to live in Hawai'i for relatively inexpensive since I don't need all these fancy gadgets. I'm okay with riding The Bus.

But hey, if you enjoy it, and can afford it, go for it!
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Suburbs and cars have isolated people. Twitter gives you a new sense of community (I'm not saying it's better or worse than the old fashion version). It's an entertaining time waster, but it's also be useful. You'll get a lot out of it, even if you use it just from a computer, but it's more useful with a mobile device.

Here's an anti-Twitter argument.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I've been on Twitter since 2006 and until very recently I've only sent or read Twitter from a computer. I'm not very mobile with devices because I don't want to pay for extra mobile services like cell phones or 3G networks or Clearwire. My laptop runs on wireless so if I am lucky enough to be toting the laptop around and get to a free wifi hotspot, then perhaps I'll be on Twitter in some real time fashion. Otherwise I am usually at home on my big Mac twittering away when I'm there.

I did however get a Nintendo DSi and that does internet with wifi, but then again I don't go to many places with free wifi except at home and perhaps the office. The web browser on the Nintendo is quite bare bones and it is a pain to write more than a few words with the thing... barely qualifying it for Twitter use, but still useful for just general browsing... I am not a gamer and don't have a single game for the DSi.

Got a good deal on it and obtained it mainly for the web function, goofy camera and audio player.

I have to agree that Twitter is probably most ideal for folks who have mobile internet and willing to pay for it while on the go. However it is adequate enough for the anchored to the computer types to also make good use of it.

Another thing about Twitter. Several of the people I follow are on this 61 thing and through their "tweets" I have found some interesting music and artists.
            Last edited by mel; April 29, 2009, 06:52 PM. Reason: added another line
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I can certainly recognize the value of Twitter, but it just holds no big appeal for me. But I'm happy for the friends who use it and enjoy it; I don't have to be into all the same things they are.

Same with Facebook ... and MySpace ... and Blackberrys ... and iPhones ... and eBay ... hey, maybe I AM older than I think! I see the trend here.

Comment

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=411025&gt1=28103

Is this going to be a hit?

Comment

Twitter Responds: There is No Official Twitter TV Show

That said, it's not surprising a studio might want to make Twitter a central part in some kind of programming. I just didn't see a show about Twitter, which seemed to make as much sense as a show about a telephone. It's not the tool, but how it's used, that makes things interesting.

Twitter's been in pop culture for a while. Well over a year ago it factored into the plot of a CSI episode!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    That said, it's not surprising a studio might want to make Twitter a central part in some kind of programming. I just didn't see a show about Twitter, which seemed to make as much sense as a show about a telephone.
                    Was there a tv series called The Fax Machine, Season One?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      Was there a tv series called The Fax Machine, Season One?
                      You're probably thinking of the unsuccessful remake of "Dragnet," titled "Just The Fax, Ma'am."

Comment

I love twitter! Look whos on it at wefollow.com
                        http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

I've personally gotten addicted to Twitter. Its one of the big reasons aside working on my blog why I haven't been here that much.
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Hey does HT have a twitter feed? Also if u guys care to share your twitter info, do so here so we can start following you!

My I'd is "surf oahu"

I have a program called uber twitter installed on my blackbeery and its fun to use. Great for when your wife is shopping and your bored. Some people are very "intertesting" to follow.

Comment

Let's face it, we addicted!
                              http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

If any twitterers here would like to switch your location and time zone to Tehran and Tehran standard time (GMT +3:30), I'm sure the stalwart students fighting tyranny on the other side of the world would very much appreciate it (to confound attempts to isolate, identify, and persecute the protesters online).

Threadjack over!
                                Last edited by Vanguard; June 18, 2009, 01:58 PM. Reason: Just got home, I have a lot of news to catch up on

Comment

Working...
                                X