calendar suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calendar suggestion?

my friend's pc had a major failure some weeks ago and he lost--among other things--his calendar (he was using outlook). he's since moved to yahoo's calendar but i wonder what other calendar programs you guys might be using. with so many freeware and shareware out there, i'm always interested in the better mouse trap.

thanks
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: calendar suggestion?

iCal. It rocks!
    I know...I know!

Comment

I use a Palm PDA. That way my calendar is with me at all time - even when I'm away from my computer.

Comment

If he likes to switch to Google, then he can integrate everything, including his calendar. Google's version is called Google Calendar (okay, that wasn't catchy) and like I mentioned, it'll integrate easily into his emails and other google stuff.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Another iCal fan here. But, well, if you're not a Mac user, that's not going to help you.

I think going web-based is a fine option, and I used Yahoo! Calendar quite a bit. Your information is no longer put at risk by your own computer... but I guess by Yahoo!'s servers or financial health. I'd say it's a toss-up which might last longer or be less likely to fail, but at least with a web-based calendar, you've got your information anywhere you can get online.

Now I'm becoming a big fan of Google Calendar, and if your friend hasn't gotten completely sucked into Yahoo! I'd suggest he/she try it, and compare. Yahoo!'s setup is much more refined, having been around for years, but Google's applications are always efficient and elegant... and having Google's powerful search as part of any tool (as with Gmail) is always a major plus.

Comment

Besides synching with other Macs and Apple's .Mac service, does iCal synch with anything else? I have a few disjointed calendars on different devices and none are synched. I use my Palm OS calender which synchs between my old Palm III and my G4 Power Mac. However I also use Yahoo calendar and am interested in the Google one. However it is humbug to have to manually enter all the regular info into these things all over again. I have a few things listed in iCal but haven't used it extensively.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Besides synching with other Macs and Apple's .Mac service, does iCal synch with anything else? I have a few disjointed calendars on different devices and none are synched. I use my Palm OS calender which synchs between my old Palm III and my G4 Power Mac. However I also use Yahoo calendar and am interested in the Google one. However it is humbug to have to manually enter all the regular info into these things all over again. I have a few things listed in iCal but haven't used it extensively.
              I started using iCal about 2 months ago, after a ProCare lesson! It's really, really simple and syncs with my iPod. That feature, alone, made the conversion to iCal worthwhile. My iPod already accompanied me everywhere. Now it contains iCal (and it's 'To Do' list) and Address Book. When an alarm is set in iCal it's also activated on the iPod. It's very easy to back-up iCal...menu>file>back up data base. Then drag and drop that file from the desktop to your back-up media. It's now the only calendar I use. Very cool!

Comment

Those of you who use calendar apps -- do you combine your work and personal calendars together, or do you keep them separate? I've heard pros and cons for both approaches. What are your thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                  Those of you who use calendar apps -- do you combine your work and personal calendars together, or do you keep them separate? I've heard pros and cons for both approaches. What are your thoughts on this?
                  Well for me, the Google calendar works nicely as my wife and I need to coordinate our schedules.

We have the following labeled items on our calendar:

808Shooter Work Calendar
                  808Shooter Personal Calendar
                  Family Calendar
                  Wife Calendar

That was we can give each other visibility of each others' stuff, filter events easily and always be in sync. At work I also use Outlook and Salesforce.com since I need to collaborate with folks across the country. Also I personally use the Palm pilot for my personal stuff (if I could sync with Google that would be awsome!) and I have Blackberry for email purposes only.

Can you tell I need a Technology Makeover?

Comment

I don't keep separate work and personal calendars. Instead I color code the entries. I'm the only one who looks at it so I find it easier that way.

Comment

I don't know too many people who keep completely separate calendars or calendar applications for "work" versus "personal" stuff. Every calendar setup usually allow for you to assign and segregate those categories, and several others (like "soccer" and "must see TV"). I suppose some people keep a paper calendar at work for all work stuff, and a calendar book in their purses for personal stuff, but... that sounds like too much work. How will you know if there's a conflict? Check both calendars before accepting an appointment?

But a click of the mouse or PDA button can show only "work" or only "personal" appointments, if you must have it that way, and convenience wise, you have everything in the same place.

Google Calendar's ability to share calendars is also a big plus. You can view your calendar mixed in with your spouses, and make sure you both haven't RSVP'd for a dinner engagement on the same Saturday.

I've always planned to move to Google Calendar from iCal, but iCal is too perfect for me. Like Tutusue, I sync iCal to my iPod (for another backup)... but I also sync to .Mac online, and to my PalmOne Treo 700p PDA (via Missing Sync).

And since my online iCal calendar can be "sucked" into Google Calendar, I've almost got the best of both worlds. I can see my appointments as part of my various Google services, and otherwise have a third (or is it fourth?) backup out there. The only thing is, changes I make in Google Calendar don't propagate back to iCal, so I make sure all definitive changes are made in my PDA or in iCal itself.

Comment

I separate them. Kind of. Sort of.

We use Outlook at work. Whatever is on the company calendar, I never mix with the calendar I put on my PDA. I sync the PDA with the Outlook on my home computer.

But my PDA calendar has work-related tasks and personal items.

I don't want any of my personal stuff on the company computer. Nothing scandalous but its just a matter of privacy.

I also use a web-based calendar but its mostly for less frequent things like reminders for car registration.

Comment

that's a whole lotta syncing going on.

I use entourage (MS' Outlook clone for the mac) and my treo 650. I sync between both. I thought about getting a .mac account, but I don't blog, don't have a personal website, and have an external harddrive, so I don't see what I need to spend $100/year for.

My calendar is portable and goes where my phone goes, and everything is backed-up in one form or another.

pax

Comment

Working...
                          X