Computer dust storm - help!?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer dust storm - help!?!!

I need some advice from you techno-wizards, please.
    While I was out of my office yesterday, an idiot (who will shortly be unemployed) cut down a wall without covering all the electronic equipment and now there is a fairly heavy coat of drywall dust everywhere, including on (and presumably IN) two computers, two printers, a copier, scanner, fax machine, and security recording system.
    I'm thinking it would be wise to hire an expert to check and clean inside all the gear, right? And if so, any recommendations on who to call?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Computer dust storm - help!?!!

Take the case off. Vacuum as much as you can out. You might carefully blow out some of them, but just be careful that you don't blow it deeper into the machine where it will do more harm.

As long as the machines weren't on, there probably isn't all the much dust inside. If it was on, then the fans would have sucked some in.

Comment

If they were on then you may as well pull all socketed items out and blow the dust out. Dust and humidity when mixed can reak havoc on your PCI, AGP, PCI-e, CPU, memory sockets and all IDE/SATA/PSU connections.

Because the Hard drive is sealed, that should be okay but your optical drives may have received a coating of the fine talc on it's read/write head as well as the LED that aligns that head. Hopefully your computer(s) weren't on at the time.

If your computer is over three years old it may be good to reseat all plug-in connections and modules anyway.

Was this worker bonded or under any contractor's license? If this worker was working under the auspices of the building management, you should take your claim to the building management for redress.

Regarding who to call for the computers...our resident computer shop guy Adrian (applause please)
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

regular vaccuums may cause a static discharge, you might want to use a electronics vaccuum.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
          regular vaccuums may cause a static discharge, you might want to use a electronics vaccuum.
          You mean a vacuum certified for use on electronics right?
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about getting special vacuum.

Comment

Working...
            X