Free Vista and Office 2007 no joke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Vista and Office 2007 no joke

Okay this appeared in Neowin.net and apparently it is not a hoax: http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=36300

So how does one get Vista and Office2007 for free?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Free Vista and Office 2007 no joke

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    So how does one get Vista and Office2007 for free?
    Well apparently, you can’t, due to there being “no more ‘gifts’ available.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I was able to get in. I went through the videos and I can let you know in 6-8 weeks if it was really true or not.

Comment

Those left out in the cold can take some solace. At least they don't have to pay taxes. Those who are getting both the free Office and Vista copies will have to fill out an IRS tax form--and eventually pay Uncle Sam--to get both titles.

"Since the combined retail value of the products is above $600 retail for developers who chose to participate in both offers, the IRS requires Microsoft to have the developers send back a signed W9 form before they receive the second item," a Microsoft representative said.
        source

Last edited by adrian; December 4, 2006, 09:49 AM.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

OpenOffice is free, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
            OpenOffice is free, all the time.
            shh. Microsoft doesn't want you to know that.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Yeah but if you don't run the Java Scripting when installing OOo (Open Office), on your MS machine some features won't work correctly. But who the heck cares...free is free and I have Open Office and MS Office XP and quite frankly they both seem to transfer documents effortlessly between the two.

But to get Vista and Office 2007 FOR FREE is simply too much not to consider.
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; December 4, 2006, 09:58 AM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I believe the free offer is over with though. 30,000 people got the free deal though. There was tax implications if you got both Vista and Office. Since the value exceeded 600.00, it is considered taxable income. Hence why they had you fill out a w-9.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                  Since the value exceeded 600.00, it is considered taxable income. Hence why they had you fill out a w-9.
                  OK, so how does this play with what I said about the IRS and discounted rents for Hawaiians in Kahala? If MS isn't my employer, why can't they give me more then $600 in goods and not consider it income?

Comment

Working...
                  X