Free Wifi hotspots from Oceanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Wifi hotspots from Oceanic

Hello, what's this? Oceanic Time Warner has set up a number of free hot spots across the island.

Here's Oceanic's page about it.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; December 4, 2006, 11:01 AM.

Re: Free Wifi hotspots from Oceanic

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
    Hello, what's this? Oceanic Time Warner has set up a number of free hot spots across the island.

Here's Oceanic's page about it.
    Um, Queens Beach?

Why would anyone want to bring their laptop with them to the beach?

:::SMH:::
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Nah. I'll take my secured clearwire unit over that.

Now, I wonder if HawaiianTel will do something similar?
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I think it's cool. I'm not an Oceanic subscriber, but being able to take my WiFi with me to certain places would be a huge attraction. Adrian, don't you have to take that modem with you with your Clearwire account? And doesn't it need an external power source?

I was at Tamarind Park two weeks ago and picked the Oceanic signal up right away. The prices were pretty good, so I paid for an hour and got some work done over a cup of coffee while waiting for my students.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv -- so it's not just available to regular Oceanic subscribers; anybody can get per-hour access as well? Do tell more.
          Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; December 4, 2006, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Adrian, don't you have to take that modem with you with your Clearwire account? And doesn't it need an external power source?
            Yeah, but atleast you know you'll have internet access if you can't find a wifi spot.

If I'm in my car, then I can just sit in the backseat and surf just about anywhere. The only place that gave me trouble was the 3th floor bathrooms @ Ala Moana. Either the janitor was using one outlet or they used it for xmas lights. But that's easily solved when I buy a 2 plug surge suppressor (if I can find one)
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

may I have this dance?

Gents, in particular Czar-Kwan, I've a query:

have you ever used your treo as a bluetooth modem for your laptop? I have a treo, and my macbook is bluetooth-enabled, but I haven't figured out how to lync it.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                So it's not just available to regular Oceanic subscribers; anybody can get per-hour access as well? Do tell more.
                I was in the Honolulu Coffee Company at Tamarind Park and the strongest signal I got was Oceanic's. When I was unsuccessful getting a free ride on any of the others, I selected the Oceanic signal and pointed my browser to any page, which redirected to the Oceanic page. One of the options from that page was a per-use option, and I think I paid $2.00 for an hour or $4.00 for two hours (I can't remember which, but it was somewhere in that range). Sorry, I can't find the transaction on any of my credit card statements -- maybe it's free!

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                Yeah, but atleast you know you'll have internet access if you can't find a wifi spot.

The only place that gave me trouble was the 3th floor bathrooms @ Ala Moana. Either the janitor was using one outlet or they used it for xmas lights.
                What the heck are you doing using your computer in the third-floor bathrooms at Ala Moana? I'm a geek too, Adrian, but that's really going a bit far. You actually tried to set up your modem and laptop in a public restroom? I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                have you ever used your treo as a bluetooth modem for your laptop? I have a treo, and my macbook is bluetooth-enabled, but I haven't figured out how to lync it.
                You're the second person who's asked this question within earshot (well, you know what I mean) today. I know my Blackjack's manual doesn't mention it, but that thing was pretty dang cursory. I'll take a look online and explore that, because if it works reliably and well, I'll cancel this dang T-Mobile Hotspot subscription I have as soon as I'm eligible, whenever that is. Dang, that might not be until late spring.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

~beams~

lookie what I found!!!

http://captnswing.net/2005/07/11/treodun.html

oooOOOOOooohh I am gonna try this tomorrow!!!!

pax

Comment

Working...
                  X