Christmas lights mess up WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas lights mess up WiFi

Or, as Engadget puts it, baby Jesus hates WiFi.

All those Christmas lights at your home or office could interfere with your WiFi signal. To be fair, it's not just Christmas lights that can do this; any electrical devices that you add to your network's environment could alter your WiFi reception. But WiFi interference from Christmas lights is easier to notice, because they're extensive, seasonal, and practically ubiquitous.

So check it out when you string your tree and flip that switch -- you might be dropping an armload of static on your wireless network.

Re: Christmas lights mess up WiFi

it wouldn't be so much the lights themselves but the controller circuits that vary the sequence and intensity of those bulbs.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Interesting. I agree with Craig that a string of lights is one thing, but a cheap-o, non-UL-tested "fancy" set with a eerily buzzing controller box that can change blink patterns, fades, and colors is another. Of course, the latter would be even easier to detect -- you'd probably see your Wi-Fi signal "blink" along with your tree!

But yeah, more electrons moving about means more interference. And the way some people string lights -- as in, all over the house -- I can see them creating a kind of shield, a web of electricity that messes with Wi-Fi.

Hey! If you end up covering the outside of your house with Christmas lights and your spouse is annoyed, say it's to improve wireless security and reduce stray signals!

Comment

The WiFi makes people sick. The Christmas lights make WiFi sick.

Now we just need a natural predator for the Christmas lights.

Comment

The article said decorations, not lights. I think it's probably the wire strung in the air and the tinsel that's affecting the signal. I kinda doubt that Christmas lights have much noise up at 2.4GHz WiFi frequencies. Lots of other garbage, but I doubt if it extends that high.

Comment

Working...
          X