Adobe Acrobat upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Acrobat upgrade

If you run Adobe Reader or Acrobat 7.0 on the Windows platform and IE (other browsers apparently aren't affected...another reason to use Firefox? ), Adobe is recommending you upgrade to Adobe 8.0 as soon as possible due to a serious security flaw that hackers have been exploiting in machines running Adobe 7.0.

Here are the specs.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Adobe Acrobat upgrade

What raises a red flag in my mind is according to the instructions provided in the link:

Adobe Reader 7.0 through 7.0.8 users should upgrade to Reader 8: www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
    Adobe Reader 7.0 through 7.0.8 users who cannot upgrade to Reader 8, as well as Adobe Acrobat 7.0 through 7.0.8 users, should follow the directions below to update their installations:

Exit Internet Explorer, Adobe Reader, and Adobe Acrobat, if necessary.
    Browse to <volume>:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX.
    Note: If you did not install Acrobat to the default location, browse to the location of your Acrobat 7.0 folder.
    Select AcroPDF.dll and delete it.
    Download the AcroPDF.dll file provided here.
    Copy the new AcroPDF.dll file in to the ActiveX directory.
    The strange part to me is that Adobe Acrobat has the ability to get updates from their site. They could ship the update using that method instead of having users search their directories on the hard drive, wipe it out and then get a replacement. This doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      What raises a red flag in my mind is according to the instructions provided in the link:

The strange part to me is that Adobe Acrobat has the ability to get updates from their site. They could ship the update using that method instead of having users search their directories on the hard drive, wipe it out and then get a replacement. This doesn't make any sense.
      I just did the upgrade. 8.0 does replace 7.0 automatically (although the 7.0 folder will remain on your hard drive so you do have to manually delete it from there). You also get (unless you choose not to) a new thing called Adobe Photoshop Album Starter, which I guess is a way to catalog your pictures stored in "My Photos". The cool thing about this release is you no longer need to buy Adobe Acrobat in order to create pdfs. They have a subscription service now that you can use to just go inline and create your pdfs.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        The cool thing about this release is you no longer need to buy Adobe Acrobat in order to create pdfs. They have a subscription service now that you can use to just go inline and create your pdfs.
        They've had that for awhile. When it comes to PDFs, Adobe isn't the only game in town. There are cheaper (even free) alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          They've had that for awhile. When it comes to PDFs, Adobe isn't the only game in town. There are cheaper (even free) alternatives.
          Yes, I just discovered, while I was messing around with the new Google docs and spreadsheets, that it's possible to convert files to pdfs from there, too.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
          X