Looking for a new router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new router

It looks like I bricked my Linksys wrt54g router (the Power LED keeps on blinking, and I tried almost all of the solutions online).

I've been using Linksys routers for a while because they're part of Cisco, but I worked with Netgear and other routers on my computer-fixing escapades.

Which do you guys use for wired/wireless internet?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Looking for a new router

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    It looks like I bricked my Linksys wrt54g router (the Power LED keeps on blinking, and I tried almost all of the solutions online).

I've been using Linksys routers for a while because they're part of Cisco, but I worked with Netgear and other routers on my computer-fixing escapades.

Which do you guys use for wired/wireless internet?
    I use Linksys/Cisco. I tried Netgear but realized it wasn't as compatible with certain ISPs.

Curious, have you tried reloading the firmware to the router?

Comment

I got mine at Sears. A Craftsman.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I use a WRT54G, too.

Too bad about the timing, if you feel like you need to get a replacement right now. Even though there are "Pre-N" labels everywhere on the shelves, I'm still not convinced that the 802.11n spec is official enough yet, and I'd be leery of buying a new WiFi-N router until it is.

Comment

WRT54G. The older version seem to have good support and have alternative firmware that can be loaded. I think you'd have to get a WRT54L to get the same thing today.

Comment

As ubiquitous as it is, though, the WRT54G doesn't get great reviews. SmallNetBuilder.com rates lots of other routers as better.

Comment

Throughput of only 47Mbit? On a RR 10MBit line. Oh, the horror.

I think Linksys may not be the spec winner, but I think it tends to be "better behaved". Something to be said for reliability.

BTW, might check the power supply. I seem to remember that's the weak point on the Linksys. Maybe it just needs a new wall-wart? That would be cheaper then replacing the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                BTW, might check the power supply. I seem to remember that's the weak point on the Linksys. Maybe it just needs a new wall-wart? That would be cheaper then replacing the whole thing.
                I tried it with an adapter from another Linksys router, and its the same thing.

After a few hours of messing with it, I successfully pinged it, but when I tried to enter the web interface, no go. I'll just buy a new router and use the old one for a hack project.

Comment

I use a Motorola router...no problems...yet...~fingers crossed~
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                    I got mine at Sears. A Craftsman.

Is it a plunge router with a soft start?
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      I think Linksys may not be the spec winner, but I think it tends to be "better behaved". Something to be said for reliability.
                      Agreed, at least from my experience with Linksys and Netgear, Linksys behaves better so while the pure specs war may be won by Netgear or the other brands, Linksys's edge is with the reliability factor.

I know I said this before, but since you were able to ping, did you try reflashing the firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I know I said this before, but since you were able to ping, did you try reflashing the firmware?
                        I followed all of the instructions here even opening it and shorting the circuit and stuff, but alas, its dead. I wanted to throw it onto the floor like I did my keyboard, but since it was evening, I don't think the people sleeping would appreciate that.

And I'm just getting a router to use the wireless capabilities in my bed. I'm willing to go to other brands if they're "reliable" but one feature I wouldn't mind having is a built in firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
                          I'm just getting a router to use the wireless capabilities in my bed.
                          Oooookay.

I'm willing to go to other brands if they're "reliable" but one feature I wouldn't mind having is a built in firewall.
                          You can't be too careful about protecting yourself against viruses when you're doing that whole wireless-in-the-bed thing.

Comment

I had Linksys DI-604 router for about 3 years. Then it became unresponsive and died. When I tried to connect it, the lights would just flash. Thus I had to buy a new Linksys router BEFRSR41.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I've had Netgear, Linksys and D-Link but so far the most reliable router I've purchased was a Belkin.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X