Verizon DSL logon screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon DSL logon screen

Customer's computer has a Verizon log on screen displayed on start up. He had Verizon but like most people when Hawaiian Telecom took over he switched to Hawaiian Telecom DSL. But when his computer loads the desktop, the Verizon Log on screen keeps popping up.

I've gone to Start/Run/msconfig/startup tab and unclicked everything that says "Verizon" on it but it still keeps popping up.

Anyone know what is needed to do to remove this display on startup? BTW nothing in the add/remove programs that lists Verizon either.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Verizon DSL logon screen

So, he had dialup with Verizon before?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      So, he had dialup with Verizon before?
      No, he's always had DSL but had to switch over to Hawaiian Telecom's DSL service when the transistion occured.

I'm just trying to get rid of that log on screen that pops up on startup. Msconfig just doesn't seem to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I'm just trying to get rid of that log on screen that pops up on startup. Msconfig just doesn't seem to get rid of it.
        you can try and delete the related program in program files and/or registry.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Success! I considered what you said (Adrian) and looked around but didn't find anything in the registry or program files, so while the log on screen was displayed I did the CTRL/ALT/Delete three finger salute to bring up the task manager and there it was, an EXE file running out of the Windows/Prefetch folder.

So I go to that folder thru Explore and remove that file, reboot and viola, no Verizon log on screen!

It's interesting because if you were to go to the Root folder (Windows), you'll find a Verizonupdate folder. If you try to delete it, it reappears when you reboot. That file in the prefetch folder in the root folder will recreate it everytime an attempt to remove it occurs.

Comment

Hey, I've had that too and have just lived with it. Craig, I'll try what you did and see if I can find it. Thanks.

Hmm. I find three possible .EXE files in that Prefetch folder: VERCSLID, VZNETSVC, and VZSFPWIN. Which one did you delete, Craig?
            Last edited by Linkmeister; December 14, 2006, 08:43 AM.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I found what looks like a handy reference for startup program issues at Bleeping Computer. I typed in "Verizon" and got a list of eight Verizon-related startup files, one of which was VZSFPWIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                Hey, I've had that too and have just lived with it. Craig, I'll try what you did and see if I can find it. Thanks.

Hmm. I find three possible .EXE files in that Prefetch folder: VERCSLID, VZNETSVC, and VZSFPWIN. Which one did you delete, Craig?
                Both the VZNETSVC and the VZSFPWIN.exe files.

I don't know why Verizon did it that way but it sure frustrates the heck outta people who switch off. After removing those two files you can then safely remove the Verizonupdate subfolder in the Windows folder. What a pain.

Comment

Both the VZNETSVC and the VZSFPWIN.exe files.

I don't know why Verizon did it that way but it sure frustrates the heck outta people who switch off. After removing those two files you can then safely remove the Verizonupdate subfolder in the Windows folder. What a pain.
                  Well, I deleted those two files, but I've been unable to find the Verizonupdate subfolder in Windows, so it just recreates the damned things. Any suggestions for finding it (name spelling, or something)?

Comment

Well, I deleted those two files, but I've been unable to find the Verizonupdate subfolder in Windows, so it just recreates the damned things. Any suggestions for finding it (name spelling, or something)?
                    The file path will be: Local Disk/Windows/VerizonUpdate.

Before deleting that file you first must go to: local Disk/Windows/prefetch/ then delete those two root files you mentioned. Then go to the first path and delete the VerizonUpdate subfolder.

Comment

The file path will be: Local Disk/Windows/VerizonUpdate.

Before deleting that file you first must go to: local Disk/Windows/prefetch/ then delete those two root files you mentioned. Then go to the first path and delete the VerizonUpdate subfolder.
                      Well, thanks. I just searched my entire hard drive for verizonupdate and it came up empty, though, so now I'm thoroughly puzzled.

Comment

Well, thanks. I just searched my entire hard drive for verizonupdate and it came up empty, though, so now I'm thoroughly puzzled.
                        Try looking for anything with the word Verizon in that folder. It would definately be immmediately recognizable.

Comment

Working...
                        X