Shuffle Knockoff Maker Sues Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuffle Knockoff Maker Sues Apple

Taiwanese manufacturer Luxpro made headlines in March 2005 when it first showed off its first-generation iPod Shuffle clone at CeBIT. The company is now striking back, suing Apple for $100 million over lost sales.

Luxpro was emboldened by an appeals court decision which reversed an earlier ruling that the company had indeed infringed upon Apple's Shuffle design. Originally called the "Super Shuffle," Luxpro later changed the name to the Tangent in an attempt to avoid legal action.
    I guess this is as crazy as it gets nowadays.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Shuffle Knockoff Maker Sues Apple

I think in time either Apple will be forced to license the connector to other MP3 makers, or it will end up public domain. There are so many devices out there coming out with that ipod doc, I think someone will sue and the court will find that others can make their equipment compatible with the docks.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
      I think in time either Apple will be forced to license the connector to other MP3 makers, or it will end up public domain. There are so many devices out there coming out with that ipod doc, I think someone will sue and the court will find that others can make their equipment compatible with the docks.
      Why/how would apple be "forced" to license their patented proprietary connector to the competition?

also this frivilous lawsuit has nothing to do with the connector. the LuxPro is a COMPLETE ripoff of the 1st gen Apple Shuffle. LuxPro even named theirs the Super Shuffle, before they ironically changed its name.

this is all a publicity move. since even all the review said the luxpro was terrible

website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

well the iPod Shuffle changed it looks now. And WHOA both Apple and "LuxPrO" who I nevah heard off looks awfully similar.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
          Why/how would apple be "forced" to license their patented proprietary connector to the competition?
          Patented, huh? Gee, what's so special that it qualifies as a patent? No one ever conceived of a docking connector before?

Anyway, the issue is that the world is full of devices that connect specifically to iPods. Other makers are being shut out. The iPod docking station has become the defacto MP3 player standard. And Apple holds a monopoly. At some point the other manufacturers are going to protest and something will happen. Exactly what, I'm not sure. It depends on how the legal argument goes. But the pressure is there.

I think there's already a lawsuit regarding the tyeing of iTunes and iPod.

Comment

Working...
          X