Construction Crane Operators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Crane Operators

I spend a few minutes every day marvelling at the two construction cranes operating at the corner of Queen and South streets in Kakaako (my office is nearby, and I regularly gape at them while having a smoke break). I'm talking about the giant cranes, the one's that became the unofficial state bird during the hotel construction boom of the 1970s.

It occurs to me that the operators of those cranes are the rock stars of the construction industry. High profile with, I imagine, a significant amount of pressure and stress. There are only a dozen or so operating at any one time on O'ahu, and it seems to me that such a gig is highly sought after by heavy equipment operators.

Does anyone know what it takes to get a gig like that? Does the training for something like that take months or years? Who gets the gigs? Those with seniority, skill or connections, or a combination of all three? I'm curious to know what a gig like that is like. Thanks in advance for any insights or anecdotes.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Re: Construction Crane Operators

Originally posted by jdub View Post
    Does anyone know what it takes to get a gig like that? Does the training for something like that take months or years? Who gets the gigs? Those with seniority, skill or connections, or a combination of all three? I'm curious to know what a gig like that is like. Thanks in advance for any insights or anecdotes.
    I think the main job requirement is that you're not afraid of heights! And you gotta be certified (anyone who'd want to work that high up off the ground has to be certifiable!). Here are the Hawai'i regs.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; January 24, 2007, 01:20 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Star-Bulletin had a great "Hawaii at Work" profile of a female crane operator last summer. I got dizzy just reading about the job! I wonder how photographer Dennis Oda liked the view?

Apparently, there's some demand for operators. Go for it, Jdub. (I wonder if being hundreds of feet up, alone, in a cab, would be a reasonable exception for the workplace smoking ban?) But the story linked notes that "a crane operator doesn't happen overnight," as there are significant training and certification requirements.

There's so much construction going on now, there are several adjacent building sites (including the one you're watching) where the radius of the cranes overlap. It must be quite a dance, coordinating things so loads and cables don't collide or tangle.

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but what do they use to build the crane?

Comment

i kind of thought the crane became the elevator for the building? not sure tho or where i got that idea.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

That's what I thought too, but I've noticed the crane isn't always "inside" the building. Even if that's the case, how do you build just the elevator shaft first when you don't have a crane? (Nevermind even trying to attach a 100' boom and counterweights to the top of this shaft.)

In that article, Ms. Nakooka says she used her crane to help build another one, but how do they build the first crane at a new site? Her crane is 257' tall and has a 180' boom (with counterweights on the other end). How do you build something like that without a crane?

Comment

Bellevue, the next door neighbor to Seattle (on the other side of Lake Washington) has been having an incredible building boom over the last couple of years too. In the main part of town, there are at least 10 of those tower cranes within about 2 sq. mi. In Dec., one of those cranes suffered some sort of structural defect and crashed into an adjacent condo building, killing a Microsoft attorney who lived in the penthouse. That crane was dismantled and examined and in the last week or so, they have erected a new crane (hopefully on a more solid base than the last one). Everyone said it was a miracle that more people weren't hurt or killed.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Unreal,
                I give them guys credit, to be working high above and with the winds too
                That`s why they make the big bucks cause they got alot of responsibilites...
                bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Bellevue, the next door neighbor to Seattle (on the other side of Lake Washington) has been having an incredible building boom over the last couple of years too. In the main part of town, there are at least 10 of those tower cranes within about 2 sq. mi. In Dec., one of those cranes suffered some sort of structural defect and crashed into an adjacent condo building, killing a Microsoft attorney who lived in the penthouse. That crane was dismantled and examined and in the last week or so, they have erected a new crane (hopefully on a more solid base than the last one). Everyone said it was a miracle that more people weren't hurt or killed.

Miulang
                  Hmmm I wonder if that MS Attorney was about to do something dastardly and God simply had enough crashes on his website: www.almighty.god and took him out? Talk about two birds with one stone, first he works for Microsoft, and second he's an attorney And a rich one at that if he died in his penthouse!

BTW if you cannot connect to God's website, it's not under construction, it's just that you may have to adjust your web browser for access, in other words do as most do when their computer crashes...they pray
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                    That's what I thought too, but I've noticed the crane isn't always "inside" the building. Even if that's the case, how do you build just the elevator shaft first when you don't have a crane? (Nevermind even trying to attach a 100' boom and counterweights to the top of this shaft.)

In that article, Ms. Nakooka says she used her crane to help build another one, but how do they build the first crane at a new site? Her crane is 257' tall and has a 180' boom (with counterweights on the other end). How do you build something like that without a crane?
                    I think one of those mobile cranes is used to build the static crane at a lower height first. And then as the building grows, the crane is jacked up and more crane supports are inserted.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                      I spend a few minutes every day marvelling at the two construction cranes operating at the corner of Queen and South streets in Kakaako (my office is nearby, and I regularly gape at them while having a smoke break).[...]
                      That site is across the street from my office building and I'm constantly amazed at how fast it's going up. Reminds me of Legos!!!
                      Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      [...]There's so much construction going on now, there are several adjacent building sites (including the one you're watching) where the radius of the cranes overlap. It must be quite a dance, coordinating things so loads and cables don't collide or tangle.
                      I was in an office on the 27th floor of Century Square on Bishop St. this afternoon. Two new buildings are being constructed at the same intersection, kitty corner from each other. I was just below eye level of both cranes and if the crane operators weren't paying attention it would be terribly easy for the 2 arms to collide. Yikes!

The big question is...emergency bathroom breaks?!

Comment

Take a look at "How Tower Cranes Work" -- it's a pretty good explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by zff View Post
                          Slightly off-topic, but what do they use to build the crane?
                          Most often the crane itself is used in its own assembly.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                            Take a look at "How Tower Cranes Work" -- it's a pretty good explanation.
                            Of course! howstuffworks.com! I should've known to check there first.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              The big question is...emergency bathroom breaks?!
                              Oh, I think that was covered once on Perry & Price's Saturday Morning show when a nearby crane operator demonstrated it.

Comment

Working...
                              X