MS OS and qualifying purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS OS and qualifying purchase

Interesting. A while ago in order to purchase a Microsoft OS whether it was the full blown operating system or just an OEM version, you had to also purchase a CPU, motherboard or some other non-peripheral computer hardware along with the OS purchase.

Then for some reason most computer and parts resellers (such as NewEgg, Zipzoomfly and others) dropped that requirement. I was ordering OEM versions of XP Home almost every month for computer builds or for people who wanted an upgrade from their 98 OS.

Now it seems Microsoft is enforcing this MUST BUY policy because suddenly every reseller is adding this disclaimer again:

From NewEgg.com:
    Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack - OEM

Disclaimer: Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased.

From Zipzoomfly.com:
    Note! This product must be purchased in conjunction with a hardware item. For details, click here.

When you "click here" you get this disclaimer from Zipzoomfly.com:
    Important Note

Thank you for your interest in purchasing a Microsoft desktop operating system program from ZipZoomFly.

Under the agreement with Microsoft that computer stores such as ZipZoomFly must abide by, we are only allowed to sell this desktop operating system to you, the end user, if you also order either a fully assembled computer system or a non-peripheral computer hardware component in the same transaction. A fully assembled computer system shall consist of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply and a case.

This applies to every Microsoft operating system program you intend to order. If you are ordering two Microsoft operating system programs, you must also order two qualifying accompanying products in the same transaction.

If you are a reseller and can provide a reseller's permit, this rule DOES NOT APPLY to you. You may purchase the 3-pack of any of our Microsoft OEM products with no accompanying items required. Simply fax your reseller's permit immediately after placing your order and include your order number on the fax. Our fax number is 510-739-0507.

This really sucks but what's interesting is if you compare between Zipzoomfly and NewEgg, NewEgg didn't put the disclaimer for purchase of XP Pro or MCE but Zipzoomfly did. Zipzoomfly also doesn't sell Vista.

BUT the really interesting part is that nowhere in NewEgg does that disclaimer appear if purchasing Vista either the full blown or the OEM.

It seems Microsoft only wants system builders to buy XP for complete builds now but will let you buy Vista without the hardware purchase requirements.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 10, 2007, 12:11 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: MS OS and qualifying purchase

Sounds more like a difference in the way the vendor is handling the situation. None of the vendors are actually requiring you to buy the hardware, just telling you about the legal requirement up front before you order and then find yourself staring at the fine print blocking your access to the media, right?

I've never experienced it, but back when the hardware requirement was enforced, I've heard stories about people buying the upgrade and then finding a dead hard drive in the box. OS sold with hardware, check!

Comment

When they say you must buy that tells me these vendors are requiring you to purchase those additional hardware items as indicated.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        It seems Microsoft only wants system builders to buy XP for complete builds now but will let you buy Vista without the hardware purchase requirements.
        If I had to take a stab in the dark kind of a guess this rule might apply to older Windows operating systems. I don't know why through.

Comment

Funny-- I am a reseller and have bought those XP 3 packs. I assumed I could do whatever I wanted with them. Am I also supposed to hold my clients to those restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by alohatim View Post
            Funny-- I am a reseller and have bought those XP 3 packs. I assumed I could do whatever I wanted with them. Am I also supposed to hold my clients to those restrictions?
            As a Microsoft reseller, you are not held to that disclaimer as opposed to those like me who build for friends and family.

And Helen, this disclaimer is only for XP Home on NewEgg purchases and for all XP products including MCE at Zipzoomfly.com

My take on this is that Microsoft is forcing small builders such as myself to encorporate Vista in all upgrade or computer rebuilds. I can still buy XP but it's with a qualifying purchase so if I have a computer that I need to simply replace an OS with no hardware mods, I'm screwed.

Comment

Working...
            X