X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oceanpacific
    replied
    Re: looking for a new watch

I once discovered that the times on the entry and exit clocks at the Dole Cannery parking structure were NOT synchronized. We'd get a thirty-minute free parking sticker from the agency whenever we went to the office, but I'd get charged for overage because the exit clock was five minutes ahead. So, I timed it once and got to the exit booth at twenty-eight minutes. The machine indicated thirty-three minutes, so I was charged for an extra half-hour.

I filed an inquiry, got a refund, and a promise that the clocks would be fixed.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

My clock in my car is two minutes fast, my watch is three minutes fast, the clock over our front door is 20-minutes fast, and the punch clock at work is the only time I'm concerned with.

Leave a comment:

• oceanpacific
    replied

The clock in my car is set 3:00+ fast.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
    Adrian, why on earth does a few seconds create trouble for you? Take my advice: push all devices 2-3 minutes ahead, move/drive/live five minutes ahead, and revel in comfort with the fact that you will be on time, everytime.
    I already leave a few minutes than what I say (if I tell someone I'll leave at 1730, then I'm in my car and out of my house by 1725 or earlier) - and that's after compensating for the traffic and other delays.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

*furiously looks up the term "anal" in the dictionary and its corollary concerns "Obsessive-Compulsive-Pilikia"*
    If you have a dictionary that covers both "anal" (in this context) and "pilikia," I want a copy, too (and I don't mean Pukui & Elbert.)

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

*furiously looks up the term "anal" in the dictionary and its corollary concerns "Obsessive-Compulsive-Pilikia"*

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Adrian, why on earth does a few seconds create trouble for you? Take my advice: push all devices 2-3 minutes ahead, move/drive/live five minutes ahead, and revel in comfort with the fact that you will be on time, everytime.
    Exact, coordinated time used to be critical to me - I managed a satellite uplink/downlink facility, as well as produced live, national radio broadcasts, so a digital watch that was accurate to the second was a necessity.

Even though my present job has no such requirement, it's hard to shake off decades of concern for precision. But possible. And sometimes, fun.

Leave a comment:

• Pua'i Mana'o
    replied

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    The trouble I have with that, is all of the times are different! My current wrist watch is a few seconds behind walmart's time, my cell phone is used for TV time, and I don't know what my car's radio time is pointed to - maybe that's the time I have before I get caught speeding.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    But if you want geek then the Casio Data Watch is the clincher. It's the epitome of geek watches when geek wasn't stylish.
    I had that watch for a few months. The calculator function was great in school, but the display is too small for me now.

I also had a Timex Datalink USB Watch, but I think that wasn't too "tough enough" (or something like that - I stopped using it for some reason - although I still have the data cable).

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
    That's WWVH, and they still do, but who actually has a shortwave radio? Other than geeks like us, that is.
    I take an earlier version of this one whenever I travel.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by Keith H. View Post
    That's WWVH, and they still do, but who actually has a shortwave radio? Other than geeks like us, that is.
    That's right WWVH. I used to wait until the 29-second when instead of a beat it was an interval. Somewhere in my archives of cassette tapes I actually have the announcement that was broadcast during the beats where it was said that effective (some date), Greenwich Means Time will be called Coordinated Universal Time.

Some people listen to Top 40...I listened to Coordinated Universal Time. Gotta admit...they had the beat!

Leave a comment:

• Keith H.
    replied

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Doesn't Coordinated Universal Time also broadcast out of Barking Sands Kauai? They used to broadcast on 2.5, 5, 10,and 15 Meters on the Shortwave band.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

One good thing about a cell phone's clock is that it's usually synched to the carrier so it's probably more accurate than your non Cesium atomic clock synched watch.

But a watch is more convenient to look at when needing to know what time it is.

Leave a comment:

• adrian
    replied

I have battery-operated clocks on all major walls in my home and office, a watch on the radio in my car, my cellphone within in reach at all times and the clock on my computer. The number of time-telling devices I use is not unique. So why wear a watch in this day and age?
    The trouble I have with that, is all of the times are different! My current wrist watch is a few seconds behind walmart's time, my cell phone is used for TV time, and I don't know what my car's radio time is pointed to - maybe that's the time I have before I get caught speeding.

Leave a comment:

• alohatim
    replied

I wish my watch could sync with Barking Sands, but I don't think it knows how. It only knows the Colorado signal. Also, it only syncs automatically if I set my home city to something on the continent. Then I can set the city back to HON.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X