Clear All

• Compaq Quirks

I like my Compaq Presario running Windows XP + 512MB RAM
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: The iMac G5

Originally posted by Aaron S
    I like my Compaq Presario running Windows XP + 512MB RAM

Hey Aaron, I have a Compaq Presario 2535QV running a Pentium 4 at 2.2 GHz and 256MB ram. After taking out that damned Beagle.exe virus by reloading my Win XP Professional. I had to reload all my drivers. The problem now is that my Synaptic touch pad doesn't work when you do a double tap on the center of the pad. I went to Compaq's (HP) website for the latest download drivers for that touchpad but no luck. Have you experienced this problem?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      Hey Aaron, I have a Compaq Presario 2535QV running a Pentium 4 at 2.2 GHz and 256MB ram. After taking out that damned Beagle.exe virus by reloading my Win XP Professional. I had to reload all my drivers. The problem now is that my Synaptic touch pad doesn't work when you do a double tap on the center of the pad. I went to Compaq's (HP) website for the latest download drivers for that touchpad but no luck. Have you experienced this problem?
      I have XP Home and the Presario I have does not have a synaptic touch pad. I would presume this touch pad is on your keyboard. I have this rinky dink compaq keyboard with no touch pad. Incidentally adding another 256MB RAM makes all the difference in the world. I was able to turn off my Windows swap file with no ill effects.
      The Kona Blog

Comment

omg dont meddle with compaq if i were you if you can't build ure own pc, go with gateway or dell. had some bad experiences with many compaqs from many clients.

Comment

Re: Compaq Quirks

I'm thinking of spending the $80 for the recovery disk. I bought my Compaq used and it didn't come with the discs. Most of the drivers I already downloaded from the website however after loading all of the drivers for my touchpad, I realized I cannot do the double tap anymore.

The one bad thing I also realized was that after reinstalling WinXP Pro, I didn't have the Norton Anti Virus software (on the recovery disc). I had just renewed it and was good for another year too! I ended up going to Office Max and buying the 5-user Norton Anti Virus for $99.

I think for peace of mind I'll probably buy that damned disc.

Comment

As to Aaron's question, is this touchpad part of the keyboard? And it's a Compaq branded keyboard? I don't see any reason why that specific driver wouldn't be available on the Compaq/HP support website.

If not, try typing some of the longer numbers from the back of the keyboard into Google. It may very well be known also by another name, some off-brand, third-party manufacturer, and those drivers might be easier to find.

Compaq's weren't my favorite brand of PC way back when, but after the Compaq/HP merger I've used a few newer models (including my current Tablet PC) and have found them competent machines. It's not so much the hardware that caused trouble as it is the weird things they do with customized taskbar and desktop widgets that eventually break... special buttons (and touchpads?) on keyboard or on the CPU itself that stop working because they're not part of the core system, just something tacked on.

Comment

I think for peace of mind I'll probably buy that damned disc.

On my Compaq PC, the recovery disk was actually on a partition on the
              hard drive. I could burn the recovery files on to 6 CD-R's or 1 DVD-R
              Then I removed the partition after I burned it to CD.

My point is you might not have to buy a 80.00 recovery disk.Look
              on your hard drive for any extra partitions.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by j3rr3y
                omg dont meddle with compaq if i were you if you can't build ure own pc, go with gateway or dell. had some bad experiences with many compaqs from many clients.

I had no choice, I needed a computer ASAP since I fried my old HP computer.
                I have had this Compaq now for a few weeks and it works fine.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                  On my Compaq PC, the recovery disk was actually on a partition on the
                  hard drive. I could burn the recovery files on to 6 CD-R's or 1 DVD-R
                  Then I removed the partition after I burned it to CD.

My point is you might not have to buy a 80.00 recovery disk.Look
                  on your hard drive for any extra partitions.

Oh Now you tell me...when I reinstalled XP I reformatted the entire C: drive to make sure I got rid of that pesky virus.

Comment

Oh Now you tell me...when I reinstalled XP I reformatted the entire C: drive to make sure I got rid of that pesky virus.

well I had similar problem with my old HP. The recovery CD disks stopped
                    working. I called up HP and they wanted my receipt from Wal-Mart or 25.00.
                    My solution I installed another copy of Windows Me on that computer I had
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X