Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nobody talking about the 24/7 webcast guy yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nobody talking about the 24/7 webcast guy yet?

I suppose watching a stranger has limited appeal. So does reading some random person's blog. I don't get why people get all dismissive about "user generated content," though, as if putting it out there is somehow forcing our pathetic dorky lives on others.

If you want to read, listen, watch, great. That's why we're sharing it. Our friends, family, and yes, some random people are, indeed, curious enough to check it out. If you don't want to tune in, don't click over. Go read The Economist online or something.

I get where you're coming from, though. My snarky reply to questions about Second Life is usually, "I can't keep up with my first life!"

Speaking for myself, I watched Justin because what he was doing was interesting -- in a geeky way, in a sociological way -- not neccessarily because he was interesting (because he isn't exactly an "up" personality). As for this past weekend? Well, it was fun to watch because I knew the person he was with. Riding along as Christa and Justin went from club to club, talking about Hawaii and parents and stuff, was pretty fun.

As this "You TV" stuff is still pretty new, there's something compelling about being out and about anywhere with anyone. I admit losing an hour just zoning out as Justin got a cup of coffee then went up to his apartment to read e-mail. Then again, often a handful of people ride along with me as I sit in rush-hour traffic on the H-1. Different folks, different strokes!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      I suppose watching a stranger has limited appeal. So does reading some random person's blog. I don't get why people get all dismissive about "user generated content," though, as if putting it out there is somehow forcing our pathetic dorky lives on others.

If you want to read, listen, watch, great. That's why we're sharing it. Our friends, family, and yes, some random people are, indeed, curious enough to check it out. If you don't want to tune in, don't click over. Go read The Economist online or something.

I get where you're coming from, though. My snarky reply to questions about Second Life is usually, "I can't keep up with my first life!"

Different folks, different strokes!
      Well, yea, what i meant was more along the lines of "I can't keep up with my OWN life", like you said, but I guess if someone I admired, like say, Paul McCartney or Henry Rollins did something like that, I'd probably watch sometimes

The difference with a blog, such as yours is Ryan , your blog is informational...it's not like a voyeuristing thing...it's more journalism based. I learn stuff like what "toro nagashi" is. Good stuff

http://mirror21.video.blip.tv/Hawaii-ToroNagashi960.mp4

But hey, like you said, different strokes...I guess it's the same reason I don't like reality tv....
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Thanks. And hey, I dislike "reality TV" too. It's the reason why a scripted drama like "LOST" was like a breath of fresh air in 2004. There was too much of that stuff out there. Still is.

But this "lifecasting" stuff isn't equivalent to "reality TV." Because "reality TV" is far from reality. While certainly Justin Kan is managing his life and aware of his audience, he is what he is, and that's what you see. No cuts and retakes. No slick production. No manufactured drama. Or at least, none that we're supposed to be aware of.

When I'm live, same thing. It ain't polished, but it's real. And let me tell you, for a hardcore anal-retentive editor type, it's tough to do something so immediate and unfiltered. Everything I do I want to do over!

The journalist in me likes this "You TV" stuff... not because you can watch a guy standing in line at Starbucks, but because you can watch news unfold live and unfiltered. Instead of settling for the 90-second package with standup that Tammy Mori assembles five hours after the event, you can watch the whole thing, missteps, fumbles, warts and all.

This wouldn't ever replace solid reporting, research, formal interviews, or the slippery ideal of objectivity, of course. Even watching live, there's a lot of context you'd be missing, and that's where the traditional media will always excel. Or at least should. But the accessibility of media tools -- from blogs to "lifecasting" -- is definitely an incredible expansion of information access. So I, for one, cheer Justin and his silly hat. May he inspire more dorks, just like me.
        Last edited by pzarquon; May 7, 2007, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          ... he is what he is, and that's what you see. No cuts and retakes. No slick production. No manufactured drama. Or at least, none that we're supposed to be aware of.

When I'm live, same thing. It ain't polished, but it's real. And let me tell you, for a hardcore anal-retentive editor type, it's tough to do something so immediate and unfiltered. Everything I do I want to do over!

The journalist in me likes this "You TV" stuff... not because you can watch a guy standing in line at Starbucks, but because you can watch news unfold live and unfiltered. Instead of settling for the 90-second package with standup that Tammy Mori assembles five hours after the event, you can watch the whole thing, missteps, fumbles, warts and all....
          for folks like me, the mere notion can inspire a coronary!

pax

Comment

justin arrives on oahu today for the weekend! if you see a tall adorable Chinese 23 year old with a camera on his hat make sure to welcome him to Hawaii. he's never been here before.

life is ok sometimes

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. Are you his island guide? Any official (and unofficial) events on the itinerary? And... how's his data signal holding up out here? He is going to be live, right?

Comment

Working...
              X