EMI to Sell DRM Free Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMI to Sell DRM Free Music

Apple's iTunes store and other music vendors will begin selling DRM-free music downloads. In a press release today, the announcement was made at EMI Records.

Apple's iTunes store to be the first online music store to sell EMI's new downloads

London, 2 April 2007 -- EMI Music today announced that it is launching new premium downloads for retail on a global basis, making all of its digital repertoire available at a much higher sound quality than existing downloads and free of digital rights management (DRM) restrictions.

The new higher quality DRM-free music will complement EMI's existing range of standard DRM-protected downloads already available. From today, EMI's retailers will be offered downloads of tracks and albums in the DRM-free audio format of their choice in a variety of bit rates up to CD quality. EMI is releasing the premium downloads in response to consumer demand for high fidelity digital music for use on home music systems, mobile phones and digital music players. EMI's new DRM-free products will enable full interoperability of digital music across all devices and platforms.

Eric Nicoli, CEO of EMI Group, said, "Our goal is to give consumers the best possible digital music experience. By providing DRM-free downloads, we aim to address the lack of interoperability which is frustrating for many music fans. We believe that offering consumers the opportunity to buy higher quality tracks and listen to them on the device or platform of their choice will boost sales of digital music.

"Apple have been a true pioneer in digital music, and we are delighted that they share our vision of an interoperable market that provides consumers with greater choice, quality, convenience and value for money."

"Selling digital music DRM-free is the right step forward for the music industry," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "EMI has been a great partner for iTunes and is once again leading the industry as the first major music company to offer its entire digital catalogue DRM-free."
    The DRM-less tracks at Apple iTunes will sell for $1.29 each as a premium service. 99 cent tracks of the same recordings will be available in the present format.

Steve Jobs hopes to have other labels go this route and have iTunes completely DRM free by the end of the year.

DRM free will mean that tracks will be cross compatible with other music players, though Apple will offer their tracks in unprotected AAC. I don't know of other players that can do AAC. Other vendors will be able to sell MP3. So you could buy from Amazon.com and play em on your iPod.

More details:

Apple Unveils Higher Quality DRM-Free Music at iTunes Store.

Anticipation also remains high that The Beatles catalog will soon be available online. Hopefully that includes other artists also on Apple Records.
    Last edited by mel; April 2, 2007, 07:20 AM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: EMI to Sell DRM Free Music

Originally posted by mel View Post
    Steve Jobs hopes to have other labels go this route and have iTunes completely DRM free by the end of the year.
    so by the end of the year, will Apple have open support for the other formats for video?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
      so by the end of the year, will Apple have open support for the other formats for video?
      No... he mentioned that the Video world is totally different than music when it comes to DRM. saying that CD's - the main form of music distro - is DRM free already. but the Video/Movie world with DVD's - were sold from day one with DRM
      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

So, is it okay if I buy the EMI's DRM-free music track from iTunes and post said track on my website for everyone to download for free?
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          So, is it okay if I buy the EMI's DRM-free music track from iTunes and post said track on my website for everyone to download for free?
          No. that's not the point of DRM free music.

that will still get you in hot water.
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

What if I make the download site password-protected but freely distribute the password?

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              What if I make the download site password-protected but freely distribute the password?
              Is that a serious question or are you just trolling?

The purpose of DRM was to lock the music into certain programs, computers, and or media devices. By removing DRM the consumer is given full control of what they can do with the media they purchased. They can put it on any computer, play it in any program, and load it on any device. This however does not entitle them to distribute the media, as all copyright laws still apply.
              808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
              kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
              http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

More on DRM and Fair Use rights at the following links:

Digital Rights Management and Copy Protection Schemes

Fair Use FAQ

Fair Use & DRM
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Looks like ms is following suit

link
                  808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                  kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                  http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
                    This however does not entitle them to distribute the media, as all copyright laws still apply.
                    Damn. Damn.

Comment

Apple upgraded iTunes to version 7.2 today. This allows the sale of non-DRM encoded music from the EMI label as previously announced. The non-DRM AAC tracks comprise everything from the EMI label which includes Capitol Records.

The cost for the new DRM-free tracks are $1.29 each with an upgrade path of 30¢ for customers who bought EMI tracks previously from the iTunes store.

Here is a statement from Apple that I got in a promotional email:

iTunes Plus

iTunes Plus is our new DRM-free, highest-quality audio format. The sound of iTunes Plus is virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings, and we're introducing it with great music from EMI artists such as Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, John Coltrane, Maria Callas, and many more.
                      Apple also added most of the Paul McCartney back catalog including classic albums by him and his group Wings that are also on Capitol-EMI (originally Apple Records).

Hopefully this is a signal that all the other Beatles group, solo and Apple labeled projects also get eventual release to iTunes. I still need to have some holes in my collection filled.

Amazon.com also recently announced it would start selling DRM-free music downloads by the end of the year.

Macintouch's website has a continuing report on peoples' experience with iTunes 7.2 and the downloading process today involving the DRM free tracks.

The iTunes store was busy today by accounts at the site. I'll upgrade this weekend and try this stuff out then.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                      X