• Show
Clear All

• Apple Store Waikiki

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5979

Posted on: Tuesday, July 3, 2007 10:50 AM HST

Apple polishing store spot in Waikiki

Erika Engle
    eengle@starbulletin.com

Apple Inc. has taken out building permits for several units of retail space on two floors at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center.
    The permits are for building C and would put the new Apple store adjacent to the Cheesecake Factory. Hilo Hattie will also be its neighbor.
    Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Re: Apple Store Waikiki

That's a great spot for an Apple Store. There definitely are high numbers of visitors in the Ala Moana store. I wonder if this bodes well for the Kahala Store, though. Foot traffic versus most locations, I wager, is like night and day.

Comment

When I heard Waikiki my first reaction was 'why?' Downtown is the place to establish a store, what with all the 'white-collar type' workers there. Will visitors really want to buy Apple products while on vacation? I just don't see it.

Comment

Downtown? Hmm. I can't see it. Take a snapshot inside an Apple Store, and I'm pretty sure the crowd you'll see will more closely resemble Waikiki, or UH for that matter, than downtown Honolulu.

And the Apple Retail experience involves a lot of impulse buys... something you're more likely to do on vacation than walking to your lunch meeting. As the prevalence of Japanese tourists stocking up on iPod Nanos at Ala Moana indicates, the strength of foreign currencies against the dollar make gadget shopping in Hawaii quite attractive!

Comment

They seriously need one in Pearlridge or somewhere out west. A coworker/friend of mine who lives out that side is a major Mac guru, a.k.a. "Genius" who'd consider working there part-time just for the Mac benefits. He'd be a great asset to the store and its customers.

I feel for the folks on the windward side, although not sure they would do so well in Windward Mall. Last I been there, it looked pretty slow, with lots of vacancies, which probably wouldn't sell Apple on locating there.

Mel and PZ, would you guys ever consider working at an Apple store? You guys would also make a great "Apple Genius". Seriously.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Having an Apple Store in Waikele would be wonderful.

At least until I move into town area. >_>

Speaking of Waikele... I wonder what they'll have in the old CompUSA suite.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFerret View Post
              Having an Apple Store in Waikele would be wonderful.[...]
              Either Waikele or Kapolei. That would be better than wonderful. That'd be heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                Either Waikele or Kapolei. That would be better than wonderful. That'd be heaven!
                How about one in Waianae Mall in that vacancy where there used to be some kind of 'Payless' kinda' store near the washerette?
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                  How about one in Waianae Mall in that vacancy where there used to be some kind of 'Payless' kinda' store near the washerette?
                  Sure...Waianae Mall would be total heaven but not in the least realistic!!! You're thinking of the old Grocery Outlet that became a Pay 'n Save, I think. That space could probably hold 4 Apple Stores! Since wishes are free, in addition to an Apple Store in that space, I'll also wish for a Trader Joes!

Comment

It's open! I was second in line at 3 a.m. My friend Sophie was first, arriving at 2 a.m. Actually, the line was much shorter than anyone expected, and the third guy in line was able to go through four times -- nabbing four free shirts!

They were still frantically working to finish construction at the store, and the contractors had been working 24 hours straight. Still, they finished up and cleaned up in time for the opening ceremony, including hula and hooting and hollering.

I posted a HD video of the event, beginning well before dawn and following Sophie through the doors at 10 a.m. I'm quite proud of it, actually, particularly thinking ahead to do a night-to-dawn transition shot on the shiny logo.

I also posted a ton of photos. Because they just finished construction that morning, Apple still had to take its own official photos of the storefront... allowing me to piggy back and get some nice, people-free shots as well.

Comment

Fun video! It was cool seeing my dear friend the handsome tall guy
                      in front who is the manager there. I love store openings but that isn't
                      one I made it to. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X