Hawaiian Tel Net maintenance outage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Tel Net maintenance outage?

I haven't gotten any mail addressed to my hawaiiantel.net address today. I went to http://www.hawaiiantel.net and found an (undated/timestamped! Idiots!) message saying there would be maintenance outages on several islands.

Then they give you an email address you can write to to get updates. Um, if the mail is down, how do they propose I receive the updates?

Anyway, is anyone else having trouble getting mail through the hawaiiantel.net address?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Hawaiian Tel Net maintenance outage?

No excuses. Something is wrong with the auto-responder email and the guys here at Hawaiian Telcom are working on it. This is the message that should have gone out with the email:

High Speed Internet System Upgrades:
    Hawaiian Telcom will be performing daily system upgrades in the following areas between 12 midnight and 5 AM HST:
    Big Island Mon 7/2/07 - Fri 7/6/07
    Kauai Wed 7/4/07 - Fri 7/13/07
    Maui, Molokai Wed 7/4/07 - Wed 7/11/07
    Oahu Mon 7/9/07 - Fri 7/20/07
    Please note that there will be a short 10-15 minute loss in Internet connectivity during this period. Should you lose connectivity, please power cycle your equipment as noted in the High Speed Internet Tip. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

High Speed Internet Upgrades:
    Hawaiian Telcom will be performing network upgrades only affecting Hawaiian Telcom High Speed Internet subscribers who are currently using a gray Fujitsu (Speedport) DSL modem. Customers impacted by this upgrade should have already received a replacement modem and a letter which includes instructions and detailed information. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

High Speed Internet Upgrade Schedule (12AM - 4AM HST)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    6/25/07 - 6/29/07
    Oahu: Wahiawa, Waipahu, Kapolei, Mililani, Kaneohe, Kalihi
    Maui: Paia
    Big Island: Kawailani

*Please note that the Kalihi and Kawailani upgrades will continue on 7/2/07 till 7/6/07 and on 7/9/07. No upgrades will occur on 7/4/07 due to the holiday.

----
    Burt
    Check out Bytemarks the blog and Bytemarks the Yahoogroup

Comment

Mahalo Burt for being on top of this. Apparently HawTel has been doing core router upgrades also the past couple days also causing sporadic outages.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Hmmmm... that 10-15 minutes sure has lasted a long time I haven't been able to get or send mail all day from here in Kakaako.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
          Hmmmm... that 10-15 minutes sure has lasted a long time I haven't been able to get or send mail all day from here in Kakaako.
          Strange, I've been sending e-mail all day- no problems here in Kona.
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
            Did you power cycle your equipment?

Comment

I just sent an email and it worked. It was a bit slow to respond about 10 minutes ago.

Comment

I get my hawtel.net mail through Eudora; have for years. I haven't changed any settings, but I get the "Shutting down POP connection. Error reading from network. Cause: connection closed by foreign host." when Eudora tries to check incoming mail from hawaiiantel.net.

I've sent several messages today which appear to go out fine, but the recipient hasn't gotten them. I went to Gmail and sent directly from there without the Eudora intermediate step, and that one the recipient did receive.

I know darned well I have several messages to the Hawtel address waiting somewhere, although when I go the Dot Net URL and sign in to my portal it tells me I have no mail. I subscribed to this thread, for one thing; I should have gotten several mails telling me there were responses.

Dammit.

Comment

I see the message at hawaiiantel.net has changed to include the dates. That's a start.

However, I still am not receiving mail through Eudora. So I go to my portal at hawaiiantel.net, log in, and try to check mail directly, and it just spins its wheels, telling me "waiting for mail.hawaiiantel.net" down in the activity bar above the task bar.

What's frustrating is not even really knowing who to call to get a prognosis.

Comment

At 643-4375 there's a recording which says most mail problems have been resolved and the rest will be resolved by tonight.

Well, mine ain't. We'll see.

Comment

I've been inquiring about this problem since you posted this morning. Evidently our email system is having problems at certain nodes. It is affecting many customers but not all. The distributed email system is to balance the load across multiple servers. There are two problem nodes currently being worked on, in serial. One should be done in a couple of hours, the other later this evening.

Understand that we are doing everything in our power to fix the problem. We appreciate your patience.

Burt

Comment

Well, it now checks for mail, and I just sent a test to the hawaiiantel.net address from another address and got it correctly, so it appears to be up.

I'm now able to log in at the portal, and it tells me I have no mail in the inbox there. That's an improvement; I was beginning to wonder if it was storing five years worth of mail that had been transmitted to Eudora and that's why I saw nothing; it couldn't load all that mail.

I'm still wondering where the dozen missing msgs are that went to that address.

Thanks for your interest, Burt.

Comment

This is why I prefer web-based email.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                            This is why I prefer web-based email.
                            Well, yeah, but I've had Eudora since about 1999 and I'm used to it. It's inconvenient to have to go to a browser to get mail after all these years of doing otherwise.

FYI, Burt, if you're still paying attention, none of the missing messages have shown up yet. I did get some new spam, though.

Comment

I'll ask if the missing mail is stuck in a queue somewhere but my guess is that, if you haven't already got it, it is lost in cyberspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X