Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wal-Mart Debuts $298 PC

Source

Wal-Mart began selling $298 PCs from Everex on Wednesday that use Windows Vista, are free of so-called "bloatware" and feature open source software.

The system features a 1.5GHz Via C7-D processor, which contains energy-saving features. Instead of using Microsoft's Office suite, the system ships with OpenOffice.org version 2.2.

Wal-Mart will feature the budget PC during its back-to-school sales, typically one of the busiest times of the year for computer purchases. It is the lowest-priced computer that the retailer is currently selling, although it does not include a monitor.

An item of interest is the system's lack of "bloatware." Typically, manufacturers have used product placement: trials, icons, and the like, to allow them to sell the computers at lower prices.

However, consumers have begun to voice their displeasure with the practice, leading several companies -- most recently Dell -- to change their practices and begin to offer models without the trial software included.

Analysts are not completely sold on the move. Some say that consumers may be turned off by the relatively slow speed of the processor and the largely unknown brand name. Others may be concerned over compatibility since the PC includes OpenOffice.

It should be mentioned that OpenOffice documents can produce files that are compatible with Microsoft Office applications.
    Make that a laptop, and I'm sure it'll be a hit.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Wal-Mart Debuts $298 PC

Thanks for the info. I'm saving for a MacBook, but I may need something to tide me over at the end of this summer, and this might do it.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

That just seems way too cheap. Especially when it comes with Vista and not Linux.

Comment

I can't imagine how anyone can build a PC that cheap. The cost must be subsidized by the sale of something else.

For that price it would be cheaper to buy this unit, add more RAM plus a graphics card instead of building one from scratch. Kinda like a complete barebones system you add upon to give it some muscle.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Maybe instead of bloatware it is pre-installed with a lot of spyware.

Yep, there's gotta be a catch.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Gosh Mel it's 2:36am what the heck are you still doing up?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I have a cold and the coughing woke me up and I cannot go back to sleep.... So sickies stay up and post stuff here.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm speaking in complete ignorance here, but could it be that Microsoft is trying to get Vista into as many willing, eager hands as possible? It has never really had to do that with past upgrades to its OS, but public sentiment seems (and again, I'm speculating mostly in ignorance) to be decidedly against Vista, or at least strongly reluctant. I've heard that Dell has lost huge chunks of the market to HP because HP put itself in Wal-Mart stores and Dell did not. Is Microsoft perhaps going for a similar Wal-Mart effect?

Everex has put news of the back-to-school computer (the IMPACT GC3502) at the top of its website here, and here's a little bit about the C7-D.
                Last edited by scrivener; July 19, 2007, 03:17 AM. Reason: "The suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth..."
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I don't think there's any catch. It's a combo of factors that makes this possible.

1) MS is probably trying to push Vista because it isn't as successful as they hoped it to be in terms of sales.

2) Walmart being the mass volume mover probably negotiated much cheaper licensing fees with Everex from MS so per copy, Vista probably isn't that expensive.

3) The components on this PC are cheap. Via's like a bottom feeder processor.

4) No monitor.

5) Possible subsidy by Walmart, consider it a loss-leader item. Since it's geared towards back to school, Walmart probably wants the parents to buy all the books and supplies there since they already happen to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    I'm speaking in complete ignorance here, but could it be that Microsoft is trying to get Vista into as many willing, eager hands as possible?
                    I think XP had similar issues when it came out. People who aren't buying Vista are buying XP. Either way, MS gets paid, so I don't think they are hurting for revenue. Putting Vista on a bottom feeder machine is going to get people unhappy due to sluggish performance. This unit comes with 1GB of RAM. I'm hearing that 2GB is needed to make Vista work right.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    I've heard that Dell has lost huge chunks of the market to HP because HP put itself in Wal-Mart stores and Dell did not.
                    Last time I was in Wal-Mart there was a pallet load of Dells in the center isle. I'd rather go with that.

Comment

Working...
                    X