Ask Dale for computer help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Dale for computer help!

Hello HawaiiThreads! We had a thread similar to this one on the gaming forums that I admin over, and it had some great response. I am offering to answer any (but maybe not all :P) questions that you might have regarding computers from technical support questions to questions about recommending what kind of computer to buy.

I am A+ certified, so I can work in a computer repair shop. Although really in the tech world A+ is considered the easiest certification to get, I have been building my own computers for the last 3 years and am a certified computer geek :P

Please note that any advice or answers that I give are strictly meant to help you on a course of action. I will not be responsible for any damage caused by the improper use of any help that I give.

With that being said, let the questions begin :P
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Re: Ask Dale for computer help!

Adrian is gonna' hate you. LOL
    Originally posted by dyasu View Post
    Hello HawaiiThreads! We had a thread similar to this one on the gaming forums that I admin over, and it had some great response. I am offering to answer any (but maybe not all :P) questions that you might have regarding computers from technical support questions to questions about recommending what kind of computer to buy.

I am A+ certified, so I can work in a computer repair shop. Although really in the tech world A+ is considered the easiest certification to get, I have been building my own computers for the last 3 years and am a certified computer geek :P

Please note that any advice or answers that I give are strictly meant to help you on a course of action. I will not be responsible for any damage caused by the improper use of any help that I give.

With that being said, let the questions begin :P
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      heheheh...

Das funny.

But he not.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Oooooh...I feel another pet peeve of the day comin' on!

Seriously...Adrian? Competition is a good thing. It's now time for you to step up to the plate.

Comment

Dale, have you ever tried hack-running Mac OS X on a PC?

I know Win-XP runs quite well on a partitioned Mac using Boot Camp (native) or Parallels (virtual) (we do that at work all the time using B.C. and Par.), but am curious how it works vice versa.

This hack job notes you can't partition the same drive, but needs separate drives, so looks like a PC-based laptop is out on this particular hack. How about Mac OS X and Windows XP or Vista on the SAME PC drive and motherboard?

If OS X can run smoothly on a PC, it would sure save me (and lots of other folks) a bundle on my next laptop purchase.

Just kidding about the Adrian comment. lol
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Uh oh! I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes :P Just wanted to help!

Dale, have you ever tried hack-running Mac OS X on a PC?

I know Win-XP runs quite well on a partitioned Mac using Boot Camp (native) or Parallels (virtual) (we do that at work all the time using B.C. and Par.), but am curious how it works vice versa.

This hack job notes you can't partition the same drive, but needs separate drives, so looks like a PC-based laptop is out on this particular hack. How about Mac OS X and Windows XP or Vista on the SAME PC drive and motherboard?

If OS X can run smoothly on a PC, it would sure save me (and lots of other folks) a bundle on my next laptop purchase.

Just kidding about the Adrian comment. lol
            I know running Windows on a Mac is fine as we did a number of these setups at CompUSA using Boot camp or parellels. I'm not too sure on doing it the other way around. I will check with my buddy down at CompUSA (he's actually a contracted Apple engineer for Hawaii projects) to see if he knwos of any successful tries at it.
            Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Can I plug my Commodore 1541 into my Cray-2?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Can I plug my Commodore 1541 into my Cray-2?
                sure...but it may not work properly

Thanks Dale for the advice line as there are a few of us techies here already but sometimes it takes several minds to figure out a problem such as my reboot issue I'm still having problems with on another thread.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Welcome Dale to HT. More computer gurus, the better is my thinking. As there is things us current gurus get stumped on, like Craig's mysteriously rebooting computer.
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

have you ever tried hack-running Mac OS X on a PC?
                    That could be a difficult task. MS designs Windows to run on lots of different hardware using different chipsets. But Apple only needs to design Mac OS to run on their hardware. I'm not sure just how much a Mac and a PC motherboard differ. But I'd certainly start with one that has the same chipsets, etc to minimize the amount of tinkering that's required.

Then there's a question of how you can legally acquire Mac OS without buying a Apple computer. Can it be done?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      That could be a difficult task. MS designs Windows to run on lots of different hardware using different chipsets. But Apple only needs to design Mac OS to run on their hardware. I'm not sure just how much a Mac and a PC motherboard differ. But I'd certainly start with one that has the same chipsets, etc to minimize the amount of tinkering that's required.

Then there's a question of how you can legally acquire Mac OS without buying a Apple computer. Can it be done?

Is it possible to run it under the C: prompt
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X