Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweaty man electrocuted by computer

source

A 20-YEAR-OLD student was electrocuted by his computer this morning in Shanghai's Yangpu District, Eastday.com reported.

The young man, who was identified as Wu, reportedly opened the external casing of the computer's CPU to prevent it from overheating because he didn't want to switch on the air conditioner in his home.

According to the report, his sweaty legs came into contact with the computer's wiring, which might have caused a short circuit. The computer's internal voltage is as high as 380 volts, enough to give a deadly shock.

An initial investigation by police officers and medical staff found Wu was electrocuted. They found bruises on his legs as well as blood from his nostrils.
    remember geeks: cool those computers properly!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Sweaty man electrocuted by computer

380 volts? I don't think so.

Even if he contacted any part of the PSU's wiring the highest voltage would be about 30 volts DC.

I smell urban legend here.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
      Hmmmmmm.....exactly why was he sweating so much at his computer?? I smell something fishy here!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Even if he contacted any part of the PSU's wiring the highest voltage would be about 30 volts DC.

I smell urban legend here.
        380 watts perhaps. I don't know if China uses 110 volts or 220 volts for their stuff.

I am not doubting that someone got electrocuted, it just that the article is not giving clear enough information on what happened.

Comment

380-watts seems more like it. Still find it hard to believe it unless he was laying down with his feet stretched and he was trying to move it with his toes when ZAPPO.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
            380 is a little high, but if he opened the cover to the power supply, he could have been exposed to 340V or so. The PSUs I've taken apart will voltage double the 120VAC or just rectify 240VAC to feed to the switcher. The heatsinks of the switching transistors can be "hot".

It wouldn't be easy to come in contact with it, but not impossible. I'm curious as to what else he was in contact with. I'd think the shock would be confined to his leg unless his arms/hands were somehow grounded.

Comment

gosh...almost spilled my drink while taking it out of the cup holder on my computer, as I read this story..

Comment

Is that the cup holder that comes out of the 5.25 drive bay...you know the one with the +12v lighter socket? I've always wondered why in the world would you want to put a cup holder there.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  380 watts perhaps. I don't know if China uses 110 volts or 220 volts for their stuff.

I am not doubting that someone got electrocuted, it just that the article is not giving clear enough information on what happened.

220 volts for China and most of Europe. It's definitely more likely to kill you than an American appliance. Chinese articles are usually not very reliable on detail but the story might be true. Incidentally I once saw a fridge destined for a foreign market forcefully plugged into a European socket by a ...moron. It danced.
                  Last edited by reineke; August 13, 2007, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X