Opera Vs IE Vs Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera Vs IE Vs Firefox

This is doosy of a problem. I tried watching this trailer in IE6 (It said, I needed Flash 8 installed), Latest Opera and Firefox. Only Opera would play the trailer.

»www.sonypictures.com/movies/resi···dex.html

I installed Flash 9 for Opera/Firefox and the Active X plugin for IE 6 on a XP Home computer.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Opera Vs IE Vs Firefox

Okay, I installed all three web browsers on my vista laptop, and each has their own special "item(s)". IE is integrated into the OS nicely; firefox is the XP of the browser world to me; and Opera has some useful stuff that makes me use it.

Will I go research this further? Who knows.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

You pasted in the URL in an odd way. Did you mean the Resident Evil: Extinction trailer? Played fine on my Firefox.

Comment

My Firefox works too. I didn't try IE. I'm a big fan of Firefox. IE is a pain and I only use it to be sure things are equally functional... or when another site insists that it only works with IE.

I don't know anything about Opera... well, not the browser anyway. I have heard the name many times but I never asked what people like so much about it. So, what DO people like so much about it? How is it different and what does it have to offer?
        Aloha,
        Evelyn
        Homespun Honolulu

Comment

It played OK on WinXP, IE7. The trailer was in a popup. I had to permit it to work. Depending on your settings or popup blocking, perhaps that's the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            It played OK on WinXP, IE7. The trailer was in a popup. I had to permit it to work. Depending on your settings or popup blocking, perhaps that's the issue.
            In IE6 it said a message that I need Flash 8 installed. Kinda hard to do that when I have Flash 9 installed. In Firefox that trailer gives me a blank screen.
            Only Opera plays it correctly. I may see if upgrading to IE7 fixes the problem. As I've had Flash issues in IE6 before, saying the same message I need Flash 6, 7, or 8 installed to see it.
            The Kona Blog

Comment

As far as I know, I only have the most recent version of Flash 9 installed. Older versions of Flash 9 had a security vulnerability, so that's why I know I have the current version.

The reason I'm suggesting the popup issue, is if the popup fails to work, you may get a incorrect message saying you need flash. It may not be a case that you are missing flash but that the site can't access it. Again, the version might be a red herring - it just needs to be at that version at a minimum.

Still, if you are on WinXP, upgrading to IE7 would be a good idea. It's supposed to be more secure then IE6.

Comment

Upgrading to IE7 solved the problem in IE. It still won't budge in the latest Firefox (Even after I re-installed the flash plugin). All I get is a black black screen.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

It appears after further examination the movie will not load in Firefox. I right clicked and it said movie not loaded ?
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Well, after years of being a diehard FF fan, I've jumped ship (atleast temporarily) to Opera. I tried IE7 and other than getting tired of using it on the computers I repair at work, its slow on my connection. Firefox is just a big memory hog with my 1gb of RAM - and I won't upgrade to 2gb just for one program.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                    X