Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are You a Digital Pack Rat?

Originally posted by pzarquon
    I standardized on CDR, but I know that they're not immortal. Estimates on their lifespan have ranged widely, but since I know my storage conditions are not the laboratory ideal, I'm hoping to be able to move to The Next Big Thing within three or four years.

I've already had CDRW's "expire," and CDRs that use a painted-on or label-type cover have died when the surface peeled or chipped, so the clock is ticking...
    All of my backups and archives are now standardized on CDs too. Over the short time I have been doing this (since 2001; prior to that I was archiving to zip, syquest and even floppy discs) I too have noticed that CDs are not as durable as they are claimed to be. I've had a few of them die on me, which is kind of a concern, as I'd like to find something that is really good for long term, non-deteriorating storage/archive.

I've used CD/RW discs only once and am not very impressed with them.

On the other hand, most of the music CDs that I have accumulated in the last 15 years or so are as good as they are when first purchased. I think I've only had about 2 or 3 of them fail on me. How are your music CDs holding up? How old is your oldest music CD?

My 3 oldest music CDs were purchased in 1987 and they still play fine today.... Paul McCartney & Wings "Band on the Run", Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" and Hiroshima's "One World".

What about DVDs? It seems the movie and TV DVDs I buy will last for a very long time. However I have some anxiety about whether or not future hardware will be able to play and display the discs that I have today. I keep on reading about new DVD and TV standards that to me makes me worry that the money I spent on the many DVDs I already have will be wasted as future gear may not be able to play them.

Let's hope the music, movie and electronic hardware industry can continue with new developments while still maintaining backward compatibility with the media we have today.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      What about DVDs? It seems the movie and TV DVDs I buy will last for a very long time. However I have some anxiety about whether or not future hardware will be able to play and display the discs that I have today. I keep on reading about new DVD and TV standards that to me makes me worry that the money I spent on the many DVDs I already have will be wasted as future gear may not be able to play them.
      Good question, I noticed that the DVD players don't last that long. I'm on my 2nd player. I have a friend who is her 4th DVD player.

Comment

you gotta tell your kids that the DVD player isn't a toaster for poptarts. Da crumbs mess up the electronics.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X